bound the total number of cards per day

nicky

24 Feb, 2014 07:50 AM

Hi,

Currently it is possible to bound the number of new cards per day and the number of review cards per day. If you study 20 new cards per day, the number of reviews grows quickly (at least for me). I would like to adapt the number of new cards such that the total number of cards per day stays within reasonable limits, 100 say. Is it possible to add an extra bound on the total number of cards per day? To make things more specific: let N be the bound on the new cards per day, and T be the total number of cards per day, whether new or under review. (Hence,T >= N). Suppose that r is the number of reviews for today, then number of new cards for today should be

n = min(N, T-r)

Thus, if you have many reviews you will have no or hardly any new cards, whereas if you do not have many reviews you will learn N new words. Like this you will also have more or less the same amount of words to deal with, hence more or less the same amount of time

Thanks.

Nicky

1. 1 Posted by s on 02 Mar, 2014 07:28 PM

Fairly sure there is not, unfortunately. I've long hoped for similar functionality, just because I find my tolerance for some stuff is right around ~150 cards a day. What you're describing would be ideal -- if, say, there were only 135 reviews, then 15 new cards would be presented, but if there were 160 reviews scheduled then it'd just present 150 of them, et cetera.

I've simply gotten into the habit of managing it by hand. In the example above, I've got new cards set to 20/day, and max reviews at 150, and just gauge it myself. Less elegant, but it is getting the job done.

2. 2 Posted by nicky van foree... on 02 Mar, 2014 09:18 PM

Hi,

Yes, I am also managing this by hand. My level of tolerance (in particular
    that of my son...) is 100 words. Damian said that it is on his list. Let's
    see and wait. Would it be hard to build this as a add-on?

3. 3 Posted by vokietis on 02 Mar, 2014 09:38 PM

If you use timeboxing with a time interval in which you typically manage 100 cards and combine it with the "show new cards after reviews" option, you will get what you want as long as you stay in one timebox.
    I employ this system very often, albeit in a slightly different fashion: I reduce both the number of new cards and the number of reviews by choosing "mix new cards and reviews".
    The intended results of our respective behaviour are the same, as far as I can see.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac