Do Anki's learning algorithms still work when “new cards/day” and review per day is very low?

Uaru

21 Feb, 2014 07:01 AM

By default, Anki sets “new cards/day” to 20 cards. I have a new deck which I'd like to set very low, perhaps at 2 new cards per day, because I am too busy with other decks and do not need to get this one anytime quickly. As such, reviews would also be very low everyday, even after several weeks, and new cards + review would take ~2 minutes per day.

I know that Anki's methods are all based on complex math and theories about memory. Will such low values prevent these algorithms from doing their job properly?

1. 1 Posted by Paul B on 21 Feb, 2014 09:40 AM

Anki monitors the difficulty for each individually, and adjusts according to how how have rated that individual card. Having a small number of cards in a deck shouldn't affect the learning algorithms. (What will change is that you might not have as predictable a number of cards per day - for example, you might have one day with zero reviews, followed by a day with 5 minutes of reviews.)

2. 2 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 21 Feb, 2014 04:51 PM

(What will change is that you might not have as predictable a number of cards per day - for example, you might have one day with zero reviews, followed by a day with 5 minutes of reviews.)

Maybe, but if you add the cards at a consistent pace (2 cards every day), it should work pretty normally. And there shouldn't be any problem with remembering them -- there would be no significant difference compared to placing those cards into one of the decks you already have, except perhaps that you know fewer cards in that topic and they might be easier to remember in general.

3. 3 Posted by Heather on 22 Feb, 2014 09:19 PM

We have some decks with very few new cards a day... and even one deck that we only do 1 card a day new or review (it references a practice worksheet - so not a standard anki usage), and the algorithm is working well for us!

One of my students I did modify an option for the daily practice sheet as he had s very high status on the mature cards, but quite a few cards backed up at the 1 a day so he wasn't getting new ones very often. I used the formula to getermine an interval modifier (130%) and it is working out nicely for him now.

Anyway, just wanted to say that even 1 or 2 new cards a day works fine in anki

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac