Filtered deck and learning mode changes

Damien Elmes

22 Dec, 2017 01:01 PM

Hi all,

I have uploaded a test build based on 2.1.0beta28 that contains some experimental changes to filtered decks and learning mode, and I'd appreciate your feedback on them.

• Cards in the learning queue remain in the learning queue when the filtered deck is emptied or built - they are no longer reset.
  • Review cards that are shown early are now reviewed in the same way as review cards that were due. Anki calculates the time elapsed since the card was last seen, and applies different multipliers for Hard/Good/Easy like in regular reviews. For example, a card with a 100 day interval that's due in 25 days, when answered Good gets a new interval of (100-25)*2.5=187 days.
  • If only a short time has elapsed since the card was last seen, Hard may reduce the interval to a minimum of 50% of the previously scheduled interval. Good & Easy will ensure the interval does not go below the previously scheduled interval. For example, a 100 day interval but due in 75 days: (100-75)*2.5=62 days, which is less than the previous interval, so 100 days is chosen instead. In the Hard case, the interval can be reduced, as if the card is hard then the previous interval may have been too optimistic.
  • The above changes should also have addressed the problems where reviewing ahead multiple times could cause the interval to grow too quickly.
  • When reviews are marked Again, the new interval is calculated at the failure time, but the card is rescheduled as it graduates. This should fix lapsed cards being scheduled for the wrong date when answered after a delay.
  • Cards in learning mode now use 4 buttons instead of 3 - there are always 4 buttons now. In learning mode, Hard repeats the current step, with a delay between the current step and the next one.

In order to accomplish some of the above, filtered decks no longer support custom learning steps - when answering new cards or failing a review card, the steps defined in the home deck are always used now. I realise this is a loss of functionality, but I think it is offset by the fact that filtered decks can now be rebuilt at any point without the learning progress being lost, and by the better scheduling that showing early reviews in review mode enables.

These changes have had limited testing at this point, so I'd suggest backing up your collection and playing around with the build in a separate profile that does not sync to other clients for now. Please also empty any filtered decks and finish learning cards prior to upgrading/downgrading. The build can be downloaded from https://apps.ankiweb.net/downloads/alpha/

Update 29 Dec: I've removed the alpha build for now, and hope to have a new one out in the next week or so

1. 1 Posted by mnhende2 on 22 Dec, 2017 01:25 PM

@Damien: This is wonderful news. It is like you made the build looking
    at my wish list. I will be glad to test this. If it works, I think it
    will be a great step forward. Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Glutanimate on 22 Dec, 2017 03:49 PM

Sounds exciting! I'll try to give it a spin over the next week.

I do wonder, though: Does this mean that Anki 2.0 will no longer be forward-compatible with Anki 2.1 soon?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Dec, 2017 11:47 PM

Compatibility is still a goal of 2.1. I haven't had time to fully investigate compatibility issues with these changes yet, but if they can't be integrated seamlessly, one option would be to make them opt-outable for users still using older clients.

4. 4 Posted by mnhende2 on 27 Dec, 2017 12:16 AM

@Damien: I had to catch up on learning cards and get filtered decks emptied, so only began to test today. Did a first initial test and nothing seems to have broken. I'll keep trying in the coming days. I did notice one small that. As you can see in attached "screenshot" when I lapsed a card in a filtered deck, in the "card info" you can see that is showed the due date at "1970-1-1". The actual due date was still today, just a few minutes later.

Now, the card came back for review as it should have (in a few minutes) and when I got it right, it then progressed to the following day (as per the lapse step). Then the "due date" updated properly and showed being due the following day (screenshot #2). So, it appears the due date of 1970-1-1, was not problematic, just confusing.

Best,
    mnhende2

5. 5 Posted by mnhende2 on 27 Dec, 2017 06:05 PM

@Damien: Again, I just want to drop a quick note of positive feedback about these changes. I love all the scheduling and filtered decks fixes.

Also, only having three answer options never bothered me, but I know some people found it confusing. That said, I have to admit that having a fourth button does give it a better feel of consistency.

6. 6 Posted by mnhende2 on 28 Dec, 2017 11:42 PM

@Damien: I've had this error twice on the alpha. Looking at the error code, it doesn't appear to be related to the alpha, but I haven't had this happen on the Beta. But I am on the road right now and only have my oldest computer with me. It isn't the normal machine that I test on, but still what I have done on here with the Beta, I haven't gotten this error before, so I thought I would at least pass it along.

Also, just adding a verifying note that post #4 is consistently reproducible with the due date showing 1970-1-1. It also remains this date if you empty the filtered deck and the card moves back to the original deck. It doesn't seem to affect the ultimate rescheduling of the card, but it might concern someone if they were to see such an out-of-place date.

Best,
    mnhende2

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 29 Dec, 2017 01:00 AM

I've pulled the alpha for now, and hope to have a new build to test soon. For people who downloaded it, I'd recommend going back to a normal beta for now - please ensure you have no learning cards or cards in filtered decks when you downgrade.

The audio error seems unrelated to the scheduling changes. If you spot a pattern in when it's happening, please let me know on the normal beta thread.

8. 8 Posted by mnhende2 on 29 Dec, 2017 09:34 AM

@Damien: Will do. Looking forward to the next version of the
    alpha to test.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Jan, 2018 10:47 AM

Still a bit left to do - hopefully will be ready in the next few days.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 14 Jan, 2018 10:53 AM

11. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 10:53 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac