Anki 2.1.24 Beta

Damien Elmes

21 Mar, 2020 12:00 PM

Hi all,

A new beta is now available: https://betas.ankiweb.net

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Faisal Ahmad on 07 Apr, 2020 02:35 PM

For some reason, the position of the browser changes when unsuspended a card. Thank you for fixing the earlier issue with the card position changing when deleting the search term. But now it seems like there are a few other minor issues with the card position. I have attached a video to demonstrate.

2. 32 Posted by Faisal Ahmad on 08 Apr, 2020 02:36 AM

I get this error. I've checked the database and I've also disabled all add-ons. This occurs when I preview a card in the browser and then press the escape key.

Error
    An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
    If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
    Anki 2.1.24 (16ab351b) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.13.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Mac 10.15.4
    Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=1
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-04-07 08:32:25

Caught exception:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "aqt/webview.py", line 229, in onEsc
      File "aqt/previewer.py", line 94, in close
      [Previous line repeated 991 more times]
    RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

3. 33 Posted by Igor Mróz on 08 Apr, 2020 07:04 PM

I have a question connected with syncing - should be following code (https://github.com/ankitects/anki/blob/c050833aba02a1e75c4987bacee7f6f6491d8688/rslib/src/media/sync.rs#L98) changed to `Option<String>`? As far as I understand sometimes server can respond with null values? Or server should behave like client?

4. 34 Posted by Igor Mróz on 09 Apr, 2020 02:59 PM

Another question - when is deck configuration updated? When I run application, change some param (f.e. leeches threshold), close dialog and then close app it looks like parameters aren't updated.

5. Support Staff 35 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Apr, 2020 07:53 AM

Beta 5 is now available.

Igor: the code works correctly with AnkiWeb. Beta 5 should fix the deck config change not marking the collection as modified.

6. 36 Posted by Igor Mróz on 11 Apr, 2020 09:08 AM

Thanks for fixing configuration issue.

Does syncing work also when there are files marked as deleted on server and those are sent to client? This is the situation I've been having. It return error, that third element in media sync array can't be null (sha1 field of non-existing file).

7. 37 Posted by Igor Mróz on 11 Apr, 2020 12:39 PM

I found out another problem (or maybe not?). When I press 'r' key on card with TTS and no answer shown, then it plays correctly. But when answer is shown and 'r' pressed it throws exception:

Caught exception:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "anki/qt/aqt/reviewer.py", line 124, in replayAudio
        if self._replayq(c, previewer):
      File "anki/qt/aqt/reviewer.py", line 217, in _replayq
        return s.mw.col.decks.confForDid(s.card().odid or s.card().did).get(
    TypeError: 'Card' object is not callable

8. 38 Posted by Faisal Ahmad on 11 Apr, 2020 06:02 PM

Thank you for fixing those small bugs that I posted about Damien! You make Anki an amazing product!

9. 39 Posted by John Smith on 14 Apr, 2020 02:05 PM

I'm having an issue downgrading from the beta to stable. Specifically the filtered decks.
    They throw

Debug info:
    Anki 2.1.22 (0ecc189a) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Windows 10
    Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-04-14 17:28:15

Caught exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "aqt\webview.py", line 446, in handler File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 542, in _onTypedAnswer File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 245, in _showAnswer File "<C:\Program Files\Anki\decorator.pyc:decorator-gen-16>", line 2, in _showEaseButtons File "lib\site-packages\anki\hooks.py", line 666, in decorator_wrapper File "lib\site-packages\anki\hooks.py", line 657, in repl File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 600, in _showEaseButtons File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 657, in _answerButtons File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 643, in but File "aqt\reviewer.py", line 666, in _buttonTime File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 1567, in nextIvlStr File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 1587, in nextIvl File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 1605, in _nextLrnIvl File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 745, in _startingLeft File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 720, in _lrnConf File "lib\site-packages\anki\schedv2.py", line 1309, in _newConf KeyError: 'separate'
    and I'm unable to review the cards.
    Deleting the filtered decks and making new ones fixes this problem.
  10. Support Staff 40 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Apr, 2020 01:56 AM

Beta 6 is now available - please see the release notes.

11. Support Staff 41 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 Apr, 2020 02:25 AM

Beta 7 is now available. This will likely become the next stable release if no further issues are found. If you do find a bug, please let me know soon.

12. 42 Posted by Glutanimate on 20 Apr, 2020 05:00 PM

Thanks, Damien. Unfortunately I have to report that beta 8 no longer starts for me on Linux (beta 7 works fine). STDOUT and STDERR are clear of any errors for the most part, aside from the following Qt error which I've only seen once so far:

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x50e00) with this library (version 0x50e01)

Additional info:

• Linux 4.15.0-96-generic #97-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 1 03:25:46 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    • Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    • Running on a clean vanilla Anki config

If there's any other debug info I can provide please do let me know.

Linux issue aside, would it be possible for you to hold off on the release for a couple of days or so? I still haven't had the time to check all of my add-ons for compatibility, and I assume it's the same for some other authors (though I also know that some authors have announced that they want to switch to a long-term support schedule around 2.1.23).

On a related note: You definitely have better stats on this, but I feel like these beta releases probably don't receive that much testing in the grand scheme of things, and since the download page always points to the latest stable release, it seems like new users are disproportionately affected by any issues we miss.

With more fundamental changes now being introduced, I think it's worth a thought having a "stable" and "bleeding edge" download. I could see that adding some more confusion into the mix (seeing how we already have standard and alternate builds) –but I really think it would be a worthwhile measure to extend the testing window and steer it towards power users.

13. 43 Posted by Igor Mróz on 20 Apr, 2020 05:12 PM

@Glutanimate

I sometimes also have similar issue - when I update partially Qt ecosystem (some libraries are updated, some not). Maybe try to rebuild all Qt libraries to one version? Or maybe your system's Qt version is outdated?

14. 44 Posted by Glutanimate on 20 Apr, 2020 05:15 PM

Another thought on the testing window: I think it would be neat if there was a clearer gap between feature / change freeze for a particular release and the expected release date. That would give add-on authors the chance to test their add-ons against the final release candidate before it goes live.

While most changes in a release cycle usually happen towards its beginning, there's still a chance that later fixes will introduce new regressions. By having, say, one week between announcing a particular beta as the release candidate, and the actual release, add-on authors would have a better chance to do some final rounds of testing.

Again, I completely understand how that wasn't really that necessary in the past. But with Anki's development now being in a refactoring phase and many parts moving around at once, I really feel like add-on authors could use a breather like this (as demonstrated by authors who've already switched to an LTS schedule).

15. 45 Posted by Glutanimate on 20 Apr, 2020 05:18 PM

@Igor

That was my thought as well, but Anki's binary builds bundle their own Qt libraries, so system libraries normally shouldn't affect them. (KDE 5.12 ships with Qt 5.12 (edit: worse, it's Qt 5.9.5 actually), so my system Qt version has been out of sync with Anki for many releases now. Still, this is the first time I've run into this)

FWIW, I can run the latest Anki build fine from source in an Anki dev environment with Qt/PyQt installed from PyPI, so if there is any global state affecting the binary builds, it doesn't seem to affect the source build.

16. Support Staff 46 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 Apr, 2020 10:44 PM

Not sure what happened there; I can't reproduce the issue when repackaging it. Thanks for the report - I've uploaded a fixed Linux build.

It'll likely be at least a week before this is marked as stable, and if newer issues are discovered, it may take longer. It's a large release, so it may be listed in parallel with .22/.23 for a while on the website.

17. 47 Posted by Faisal Ahmad on 21 Apr, 2020 01:39 AM

Damian, there is an issue with the latest beta on the Mac when browsing cards, the scrolling field on the right side never disappears. It disappears when looking at the list of cards in the browser, but doesn't ever disappear when looking at the contents of a given card. I have attached a video so you can see the behavior.

18. Support Staff 48 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Apr, 2020 12:07 AM

Sorry, I think it's a toolkit issue, and Anki 2.1.15 appears to behave the same way.

19. Support Staff 49 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 Apr, 2020 12:40 AM

Beta 9 is now available. This will likely become the next stable release if no further issues are found. If you do find a bug, please let me know soon.

20. Support Staff 50 Posted by Damien Elmes on 28 Apr, 2020 01:47 AM

Beta 9 has been released as 2.1.24 - the full change notes are available at https://changes.ankiweb.net/#/

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac