Anki 2.1.20 Beta

Damien Elmes

17 Jan, 2020 04:41 AM

Hi all,

A new beta is now available: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html

This beta will break some add-ons that alter the way cards display at runtime.

Please see the following two posts for more info on the two main changes of this release:

https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/beta-testing/1704-anki-2120-...
https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/beta-testing/1706-anki-2120-...

If you run into issues unrelated to the above changes, please let me know here.

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. Support Staff 61 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Feb, 2020 10:32 AM

replay-button seemed like a clearer name, but as a different SVG is being used in replaybutton I thought it best to avoid the existing selector. Thanks for the tips on the outline, I'll look into it.

2. Support Staff 62 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 Feb, 2020 12:42 AM

Beta 10 is now available, and is expected to be the last beta before a stable release if no serious issues are found.

3. 63 Posted by Aaditya on 12 Feb, 2020 02:29 AM

The issue of not opening after closing persists in beta10. And I don't have an antivirus or any similar application on my system.

https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/beta-testing/1708/assets/ae1...

4. 64 Posted by sraulpikeras on 12 Feb, 2020 08:23 AM

Maybe a silly question... where is night mode in latest beta? I see no option in preference panel and the app is always in "light" mode.

5. Support Staff 65 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 Feb, 2020 08:37 AM

Aaditya: I haven't seen any other reports of that problem at this point, so I don't know at this point if the issue you're experiencing is common or is limited to your computer.

sraul: What is the build number in the about screen? Are you sure you downloaded beta10?

6. 66 Posted by sraulpikeras on 12 Feb, 2020 08:49 AM

Shame on me!, i downloaded beta 1 instead of beta 10....

7. 67 Posted by kelciour on 13 Feb, 2020 12:55 PM

Thank you, Damien.

The issue of not opening after closing persists in beta10.

It happened to me also on Windows 10 once I enabled hardware acceleration, but it disappeared after I installed graphics driver. In my case, it was Intel HD Graphics.

8. 68 Posted by Aaditya on 13 Feb, 2020 02:06 PM

Thanks kelciour. I too just updated the graphics driver and haven't faced the issue so far.

9. Support Staff 69 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Feb, 2020 09:45 PM

Thanks for clearing that up kelciour!

2.1.20 has been released as stable this morning. Compared to beta10, it contains a fix from ijgnd for an add-on hook not functioning properly in the preview screen.

10. 70 Posted by Aaditya on 14 Feb, 2020 03:25 AM

The issue of not opening after closing persists in beta10.

The issue recurred, though less frequently, once with 2.1.20. Can't say much about beta 9 or 10 since I didn't use them for much time after updating the driver.

11. 71 Posted by kelciour on 14 Feb, 2020 08:45 AM

It works fine for me. I can only suggest to try to disable all addons, turn off hardware acceleration or install 2.1.20-alternate to see if something helps. You could also try to run anki-console.exe from C:\Program Files\Anki either directly or from cmd (https://anki.tenderapp.com/kb/problems/when-anki-doesnt-start-on-wi...), in my case it got stuck after printing out [3500] LOADER: Cleaning up Python interpreter. instead of quitting after this line.

12. 72 Posted by lovac42 on 16 Feb, 2020 01:20 AM

@dae Please update set_last_addon_update_check ONLY IF it successfully connects to ankiweb. Doesn't make sense why this value is updated when I'm offline (no wiFi, airplane, blocked firewall, etc). And the one day limit prevents addons from being auto updated, forcing multiple 24hrs delays depending on network reliablility.

edit:
    Also, addons are loaded first before the addon auto updates and disabled if the max_point_version was changed?

So if the author changes the max version to -19, the addon would be loaded first, updates the meta.json, then disables the addon with no warning (which also requires a restart). Without a warning or restart, the user will continue to use the already patched but auto disabled addon which may contain errors that the author was trying to prevent by capping the max version in the first place.

13. 73 Posted by sabayon11 on 16 Feb, 2020 05:59 PM

Anki 2.1.20 when run from terminal on Linux reports these problems:

/home/user/anki-2.1/bin/./anki
    qt: Ignoring malformed logging rule: '’*=false’'
    accessing _ without importing from anki.lang will break in the future
      File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 86, in table
        </td></tr>''' % (_("Due today"), counts[0], counts[1], counts[2])

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 93, in table
        </td></tr>''' % (_("Due tomorrow"), dueTomorrow[0],

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 107, in table
        </table>''' % (_("Total Cards"), totals[0], totals[1], totals[2], totals[4],

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 113, in table
        </tr></table>''' % (but("study", _("Study Now"), id="study"))

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 93, in table

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 107, in table

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/138501288/browser_replace_tag.py", line 68, in setupMenu
        self.menuTags = QMenu(_("Tags"))

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/225180905/browser_search_highlight_results.py", line 120, in onSetupSearch
        s = QShortcut(QKeySequence(_("Shift+Return")), self.form.searchEdit)

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/225180905/browser_search_highlight_results.py", line 122, in onSetupSearch
        s = QShortcut(QKeySequence(_("Ctrl+Return")), self.form.searchEdit)

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 86, in table

File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/2116130837/__init__.py", line 113, in table

/```

14. Support Staff 74 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2020 10:07 PM

Please report the issue to the add-on author.

15. Support Staff 75 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2020 10:07 PM

@lovac: sounds like a good change, would you like to send me a pull request?

16. 76 Posted by lovac42 on 17 Feb, 2020 02:30 AM

@dae: I'd love to help you but I have my plate full right now. It's an easy fix. Put it on your TODO list, I'm sure you don't need me to hold your hands on this one.

17. 77 Posted by mnating on 17 Feb, 2020 06:11 AM

@Damien, are you able to clarify official Anki's stance on .night_mode versus .nightMode? Specifically, is there any chance that either one might be deprecated? The official docs still use .nightMode in its example, and .night_mode is not mentioned in the main changelog.

FWIW, I don't think official Anki using the same class names as AnkiDroid is a big issue since the platform-specific CSS allows different results on desktop/mobile anyway. Short-term some people may want to add the .mobile selector in their styling, but ultimately I expect most people would appreciate official Anki recognizing existing night mode customizations. I assume it also wouldn't cause issues with add-ons, which presumably override whatever official Anki does anyway.

Anki Desktop 2.1.20 Release applies styling from both selectors, which surprised me until I found this thread. It's still a little surprising, because apparently night_mode versus replaybutton are getting different logic applied:

Posted by Damien Elmes

Comment #18 on Jan 26, 2020 @ 09:32 AM

Anki and AnkiMobile have been using .nightMode since late 2017. A different selector was picked at the time to avoid issues with existing .night_mode users assuming that class would only apply on AnkiDroid / Night Mode.

Comment #33, Jan 31, 2020 @ 01:41 PM

Kyle: If the addition of .night_mode in this beta... [mnating: this is the only reference I found noting night_mode being added to official Anki]

Comment #61, Feb 11, 2020 @ 07:32 PM

replay-button seemed like a clearer name, but as a different SVG is being used in replaybutton I thought it best to avoid the existing selector.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac