More updates to Anki's translations

Damien Elmes

17 Feb, 2020 06:17 AM

Hi all,

The upcoming 2.1.21 beta is introducing a new way to translate strings, and in order to support it, the translations website will be moving again.

The new system uses Fluent (https://projectfluent.org/) instead of gettext. This has a number of advantages:

• Separate identifiers are used for each string instead the English text, which means the English text can be improved without breaking existing translations in other languages.
  • It is easier to add comments to the translation files to make things clearer for translators.
  • Plural support is more flexible, and translators can add different plural forms even if the original English text doesn't use separate single/plural forms.
  • Translations can be more easily split up into multiple files.

Only a small number of strings are currently using Fluent, and most of the text in Anki is still using gettext. The plan is to gradually move more strings over to Fluent over time.

Because Crowdin does not support Fluent, I've set up a separate translations site using Mozilla Pontoon. Both the new Fluent strings and the old gettext strings are available. You can view it in read-only mode by visiting https://i18n.ankiweb.net

If you'd like to help out with the translations, please leave a private message on this support site with the username & email you'd like to use (eg bob and [email blocked]), and I'll get an account set up for you. Please be aware that the username and email you give me will be visible on the translation site and on GitHub.

If you have any questions about the changes, please feel free to either start a discussion in the desktop category, or send me a private message.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac