Rename a shared package... is that really impossible?

Yoannjap

11 Feb, 2015 07:05 PM

In Anki manual, here is written down : "When updating a deck, AnkiWeb expects the deck to be at the same location as before. If you shared a deck when it was called "Korean Verbs" for example, and then renamed it to "Korean::Korean Verbs", resharing will not be able to update the existing copy".

A very bad thing. Because I explain to you what I would like to do:
1. One day I created a deck. 2. Then I shared it to make it available to other people who wanted to use it. 3. For years now, each time I revise this deck, I change things, add cards, etc. on my computer. 4. When I think I made many changes on my deck, I decide to update it to "Anki Shared Deck" (uploading my deck with the share function of the site). 5. Now, I would like to change the name of my deck and update it as it change also the name of the shared deck. In other words, I would like to change the name of the deck. Why? Because, I called it "Français-Anglais thématique (10000 cartes, enévolution)". But there is far more than 10000 cards now, but the double!

So THANKS a lot for who'll be able to help me with this big issue for me :)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 Feb, 2015 06:38 AM

You can call the deck what you like in the AnkiWeb listing, but currently the name in your collection needs to remain the same to be able to update a previously shared deck.

2. 2 Posted by Yoannjap on 12 Feb, 2015 07:47 AM

So on AnkiWeb, when I'm in my deck list, I chose the deck, in "Option" what do I do?
    Because it seems there are two possibilities:
    1. Directly the "Rename" option.
    2. Or the "Share" option, then there are three fields (Title, Tags, Description) and I change the field 'Title'.

Or do I do both of them to make it work and keep syncing with my computer deck? (And Ok, I understood I don't change the name in my computer).

Thanks in advance for your help Damien.

3. 3 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 12 Feb, 2015 03:00 PM

The place Damien is talking about is within the "Share" option, the one you listed as #2. #1 is the one that cannot be changed.

4. 4 Posted by Yoannjap on 14 Feb, 2015 11:33 AM

OK, thanks Soren. I will feverishly rename it with 'Title' field in Share option next week, hoping that anything will bug.

5. 5 Posted by Yoannjap on 27 Feb, 2015 01:44 PM

Ok. That worked to change the field Title in the Share option on Ankiweb. I kept the orignal name of my deck locally and just changed it like I've just said on Ankiweb. And synchronization still works.

But, because there's a but :), now on Anki Shared Decks web page, my deck (now called Anglais — Français thématique) doesn't appear anymore on English-AnkiSharedDecks webpage (https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/english) ! Why?

6. 6 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 27 Feb, 2015 07:43 PM

The links for popular categories just do a search for that name right now, so if you want your deck to appear in the "English" category, it will need to have the word "English" in the title.

7. 7 Posted by Yoannjap on 28 Feb, 2015 09:52 AM

Ok, but those decks for example called "[guciek] Angielski - zaawansowane zdania z nagraniami" or "Français - Anglais" or "400 TOEFL Words" appear in the "English" category without having the word 'English' in their title.
    And before renaming my deck from "Français-Anglais thématique (10000 cartes, en évolution)" (in which there's not any 'English' word) to "Français — Anglais thématique", my deck was listed in the English category!

Thanks for your help whatever Soren

8. 8 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 28 Feb, 2015 05:17 PM

Did you have "English" in the tags field before and remove it? It may search the tags field as well, I don't remember offhand.

9. 9 Posted by Yoannjap on 28 Feb, 2015 05:22 PM

Yes, I also have mentioned "English" in tags.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 02 Mar, 2015 11:33 AM

I suspect what's happening here is that some matches are missing because there are already a lot of decks in that category. We should handle this better in the future, but in the mean time, we've just posted new terms and conditions on the site, and will shortly be requiring all deck sharers to agree to the terms and make a clear statement that they're not violating copyright if they want their decks displayed. I suspect some people will fail to do this, which will reduce the number of English decks available.

11. 11 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 14 Mar, 2015 04:10 PM

This ticket has been automatically closed due to inactivity. If you are still having issues or need to continue this discussion, please feel free to reply.

If you are not the original poster but are experiencing a similar issue, please create a new thread and include a link to this one if appropriate.

12. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 14 Mar, 2015 04:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac