beyond annoyed with this website

michele

26 Feb, 2020 02:35 PM

hello, I have started using Anki and I want to point out that this site is so poorly created. Its beyond confusing to complete the simplest tasks, and then to top it off, you guys have the nerve to charge $24.99 to be able to download the app to your iPhone. Ive been using the decks and recently ran into one of your sites many problems, and come to find out, ALL OF MY DECKS WERE DELETED. The process of adding decks is beyond tedious. Who designs this website????? Seriously!

I want to be able to access my decks right away, and as of now I am not able to do so. I keep getting an error message that tells me to go to "tools and clipboard." I can't even find the tools option. This website makes it extremely difficult to navigate too. I am currently getting this message: Error
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.19 (3c8690ae) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.0 PyQt 5.13.2
Platform: Mac 10.14.6
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=?

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "aqt/main.py", line 993, in onPrefs
  File "aqt/__init__.py", line 92, in open
  File "aqt/preferences.py", line 28, in __init__
  File "aqt/preferences.py", line 78, in setupCollection
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'conf'

Please assist. Im so annoyed and all I want to do is study, but instead I been figuring out how to navigate through this poorly designed website.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Feb, 2020 06:15 AM

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing problems. Regarding the error message you're getting, please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will disable automatic syncing. If you continue to get errors when starting Anki while holding down the shift key, could you please paste the error you get here?

On the first sync, Anki asks you which direction you want to sync in, and it sounds like you accidentally chose the wrong direction. There's a good chance you can recover from this by loading a backup on a device that previously had your cards:

Restoring an Automatic Backup (Recovering from Data Loss)

To ensure you don't overwrite your data again, after restoring a backup, please make sure you choose 'upload' on the first sync from the device with the data, and 'download' on your other devices: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#setup

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac