New cards not applying after syncing to desktop

The AnKing

14 Dec, 2019 03:21 PM

I have tested this a few times and it seems to be reproducable. I have one deck set to 3 new cards/day. I did those 3 cards on my phone (apple- current iOS version) so it showed 0 cards to do, then synced. My desktop version then shows 3 new cards still left to study. I checked and the 3 studied cards were studied and are now learning cards, they just didn't register as new cards for whatever reason.

I'm on a mac using the V2 scheduler.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Jan, 2020 05:21 AM

It looks like you'd synced with .15 earlier today - are you switching back and forth? That may cause the behaviour you describe if the clients don't agree on the number of elapsed days.

2. 32 Posted by The AnKing on 17 Jan, 2020 01:00 PM

I did yesterday, but I'm now fully upgraded and I ran the debug again. It's 5:45am where I'm at right now and I'm on 2.1.19 and the beta for iOS on my iphone. I just ran the debug and force synced and I'm still having issues. I checked Ankiweb as well and its numbers are the same as my iphone (incorrect). I also synced my iPad and it is showing the correct numbers

Edit: I've been keeping an eye on it every 15 min or so. It's not 6:40am and the numbers match. It appears prior to that, the only cards showing up were buried new cards or learning cards

3. Support Staff 33 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Jan, 2020 11:41 PM

This is proving a tricky one to get right - appreciate your patience. It looks like AnkiMobile's code is correct, and the computer version (and AnkiWeb's) is not. I'll get back to you in the next couple of days with a new desktop beta to test with; in the mean time, please use the following in the debug console to revert to the old timezone code:

del mw.col.conf['creationOffset']
    mw.col.setMod()

4. 34 Posted by The AnKing on 18 Jan, 2020 02:10 AM

No worries! I'm just trying to provide you with as many details as possible in order to help. Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can't pick up any other patterns

5. Support Staff 35 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jan, 2020 09:09 AM

Ok, the computer code should be fixed in 2.0.20beta2 which I pushed out earlier today - please be aware it may break some add-ons. The existing AnkiMobile should be ok, but as AnkiMobile beta3 will be out in about 30 minutes, you might as well update to that too.

Please follow the (again updated) steps on https://anki.tenderapp.com/kb/anki-ecosystem/timezone-handling-changes

Fingers crossed!

6. Support Staff 36 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jan, 2020 09:13 AM

Oh, I should add that this will likely change your elapsed days count this time, moving you forward a day, so please back up first, and if you use a heatmap, you may want to review some cards prior to moving forward so you don't get a gap.

7. 37 Posted by The AnKing on 19 Jan, 2020 08:02 PM

This broke quite a few add-ons for me. Are those intended to be included in the next stable release? I can notify the authors if so. I also added a comment on a separate thread about perhaps allowing for multiple versions of add-ons to be available for situations like this.

My cards are currently matching so I'm going to wait until morning when they are usually off and see if this fixes things. I'll let you know. I'm assuming moving back to 2.1.19 will undo those changes? I will want to stay on 2.1.19 for now as many of the broken add-ons are ones I use on a daily basis, but I can upgrade in order to see if the fix works

8. Support Staff 38 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jan, 2020 10:47 PM

Yes, please let the authors know. Which add-ons broke for you?

Provided you make a backup, you can revert to 2.1.19 after testing - I'd recommend reverting to the backup using 2.1.20, then switching back to 2.1.19.

9. 39 Posted by The AnKing on 21 Jan, 2020 12:52 PM

I had Clickable Tags, additional card fields fork, add-on window search bar and one or two others that I haven't replicated again.

Also, I've been waiting for my card counts to differ ever since setting my desktop back to the old timezone code and for the past 3 days I have lined up perfectly every day. I'm currently using 2.1.19 and the beta2 on iOS. I'm still keeping an eye on it

10. Support Staff 40 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 Jan, 2020 10:24 PM

If you took the step in #33 to switch back to the old behaviour, then we're back to the situation in https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankimobile/11181-new-cards-n... where changing the daily rollover may have worked around the issue. Changing the rollover back may cause the issue to start reoccurring, allowing you to test the new code - but I understand if you don't want want to keep fiddling with things. :-)

11. 41 Posted by The AnKing on 22 Jan, 2020 04:13 AM

I'm happy to test it, I just don't know how I'd be able to tell you if it was working or not. At the moment, I'd prefer to stay on 2.1.19 for daily use until these add-ons get updated and that would nullify the debug correct? Don't worry about me, I enjoy fiddling with things :)

12. Support Staff 42 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Jan, 2020 08:20 AM

I've ported those first two add-ons to work with beta3 as an example for other add-on authors - you can use the updated versions by changing your template to {{clickable:Tags}} and {{info-FirstReview:}} etc.

13. 43 Posted by The AnKing on 22 Jan, 2020 03:16 PM

I only had 10 min to test this morning and I got an error with the clickable tags add-on (attached). Also none of my card styling worked with the nightmode add-on on 2.1.20 (it was showing my card styling for normal mode). I use the .nightMode and .night_mode classes to have separate settings. In the few minutes I had, I couldn't figure out why that was, but the same add-on works on 2.1.19 so I'd assume it had to do with the update. I'll try and look into it more lately.

Glutanimate and I were discussing this because nightmode has been consistently causing issues on all of these updates. Are you considering integrating that more formally in future versions? It seems like the community uses the add-on because it alters the entire dialog instead of just the cards, but it conflicts with a lot of add-ons and updates and has many bugs itself. I can't find it, but I read a reddit post a while back that explained how to make Anki use the Mac native night mode and perhaps something like that could be used in the future or just integrate an official version?

14. 44 Posted by The AnKing on 22 Jan, 2020 04:39 PM

Found that reddit post about the Mac native dark mode. It looks MUCH better, but doesn't play very nice with some of the dialog boxes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/cke1ab/tags_box_color_anki_dark_mode/

15. Support Staff 45 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Jan, 2020 09:32 AM

I think that error was because you were on beta 2 instead of 3. Please grab the just-released beta 4 after disabling night mode, as I've added a basic night mode option to the preferences screen in the latest build.

16. 46 Posted by The AnKing on 23 Jan, 2020 01:37 PM

I can't get 2.1.20beta4 to open on my computer. Error message attached. I disabled nightmode and held down shift and still couldn't open it

17. Support Staff 47 Posted by Damien Elmes on 24 Jan, 2020 09:55 AM

Sorry, should be fixed in beta 5. I've updated those two add-ons to make them compatible as well.

18. 48 Posted by The AnKing on 24 Jan, 2020 03:51 PM

Ok I updated to 2.1.20beta5 and beta3 on iOS and did the debug. I will let you know if I encounter any issues. It didn't kick me forward a day like you said it might, but I've made a backup just in case

Thanks again for your help. The new night mode looks amazing! I attached an image here where the tags box is a bit larger than it probably needs to know. Otherwise everything looks great and I haven't had any of my 60 add-ons break so far... (crossing my fingers)

19. Support Staff 49 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 Jan, 2020 11:13 PM

Thanks, should be fixed in the next beta. Glad to hear you like it!

20. 50 Posted by The AnKing on 27 Jan, 2020 11:31 PM

I don't know if this is something you would even know about, but I entered the code below into my mac terminal to set Anki to the MacOS Nightmode and everything works great (it turns the top mac bar dark as well) except for the profiles screen and the syncing screen. If there is a way to fix that, I and many other mac users would appreciate it not having a white bar on top when in night mode

defaults write net.ankiweb.dtop NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool no

21. Support Staff 51 Posted by Damien Elmes on 28 Jan, 2020 09:40 AM

It's an issue with the current toolkit version Anki is using - I will try upgrading it to see if that addresses the issue when I get a chance.

22. 52 Posted by The AnKing on 28 Jan, 2020 12:33 PM

Thank you! The recent updates have all been fantastic

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac