Hang when switching input methods on Windows

Onno

05 Apr, 2020 10:59 AM

When using Anki on a Dell XPS laptop, I observed that Anki would hang in the following situation:
(Windows 10 1909, Anki 2.1.22)

• Make sure you have multiple input methods set up in Windows, with keyboard shortcuts assigned to them for switching. I had Alt+Shift+0 set up for English, and Alt+Shift+8 set up for Turkish. (See, e.g., this Lenovo KB artice).
  • Open the "Add cards" dialog.
  • Place input focus in one of the Front/Back input fields.
  • Use the keyboard shortcuts set up previously to switch to a different input method.

Result: Anki hangs, and has to be terminated.

Some more observations:

• Switching input methods while focus is outside Anki, and then switching back into Anki does not trigger the hang.
  • The hang is not unique to the "Add card" dialog, but also occurs elsewhere in Anki.
  • This happens both in the x64, as well as in the "alternate" version of Anki.

Could this be the WebEngine QT bug #73994?

Workaround was to disable hardware acceleration in the Anki options. However, starting Anki in software rendering mode caused a "Could not create OpenGL context" error on startup. I also had to set anki.exe to run on the nVidia GPU (in the Windows settings, or the nVidia graphics card settings panel that was preinstalled on the Dell XPS), and then switch to software rendering. This made things work again. Hopefully this information helps someone out there :-)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 06 Apr, 2020 03:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post your workaround.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac