URGENT: need to view cards for upcoming exam

Chimsom

03 Apr, 2020 01:26 PM

Hello,

My anki desktop version says that it's trying to sync to ankiweb, but that I need to verify my email address and account online first. Anki told me the system will send me an email with a link to verify my account, but I never received one (even within the 24 hr time frame it mentioned).

On my desktop, I am seeing a message saying that anki is trying to sync to web, but I cannot access my decks and cards. I have tried to click the X button to stop the sync, so that I can at least return to my decks on the desktop app and then retry the sync. I cannot do that because anki desktop is not even opening anymore. It just tells me it's trying to sync.

How can I view the decks on my desktop version and stop the sync process? PLEASE help me view my cards again.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 04 Apr, 2020 09:57 PM

Hi Chimsom,

If you're having problems with syncing, starting Anki while holding down the shift key will disable automatic syncing and add-on loading, and should allow you to be able to get into the app.

Regarding an email confirmation, does the email address shown in the preferences>network screen exactly match the one you're writing from? The one you're writing from doesn't look like it needs verification at the moment.

2. 2 Posted by Chimsom Agbim on 04 Apr, 2020 10:11 PM

Hi Damien,

Thank you for your response. No, I had another email account that needed
    verification. It is not this one. How can I recover the cards that were not
    synced? I was eventually able to reaccess my decks on anki, but I do not
    see the new cards I made. (Is there anyway to search previous history etc.
    of cards on my computer memory itself?)

This is really difficult as a student because anki makes studying more
    efficient, which is why I like using it. How can I avoid sync/network
    problems in the future, and how might I allow cards to be saved
    automatically (should I use the web version only going forward and then
    sync from there?) I appreciate your help

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 04 Apr, 2020 10:53 PM

Your other email address appears to be hosted by Microsoft:

Outlook.com silently discards email

If you're unable to get a verification email, I'd recommend you delete your AnkiWeb account using the gmail address, then log in to AnkiWeb using your other email, and change the email address in the Account tab to your gmail address. Once you've switched emails, you should be able to continue syncing.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac