Preventing duplicate cards

Ben Broadbent

26 Mar, 2020 10:41 AM

I've recently downloaded Anki so am quite unsure with how to use it, and am probably asking a relatively easy question.

I am about to enter into the next part of my uni course and have a lot more texts to be reading for it, and want to create vocab cards for it. I used physical vocab cards before but found that I was writing a lot of duplicate cards between decks, each with slightly different translations, which made it difficult to learn words. So, for example, if 'arceo' appeared in Odes 3.1, meaning 'enclose', it might appear in Odes 3.6, meaning 'keep at a distance'.

Is Anki able to avoid this? If I have to repeat a vocab card between decks, is there anyway of ensuring that the exact same translation is available for each deck? In other words, is there a way of harmonising the answers to vocab cards between decks, and also being able to edit a vocab card and it updating across all decks simultaneously?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Mar, 2020 06:03 AM

Hi Ben,

If you have a word that has multiple meanings, you'll either need to list all the meanings in a single card, or add some context to each instance so you can determine which particular meaning you're being prompted on.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac