Anki 2.1.23 Mac Suddenly Stops Playing Audio

csosborn

22 Mar, 2020 08:13 PM

The latest Mac version will suddenly stop playing audio when you see a new card and edit it before dong the review. So the new card shows up to start learning, I made a quick edit, and then audio no longer plays for anything. I have tried it twice and the it happens with the same steps.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Mar, 2020 06:53 AM

I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you using the standard or alternate version? Can you reproduce it when add-ons are disabled by starting Anki while holding down the shift key?

2. 2 Posted by csosborn on 23 Mar, 2020 11:41 PM

Actually, I didn't notice but it seems to happen after a media sync stalls out or is cut off abruptly. I had it happen twice today and then the audio stopped working.

3. 3 Posted by csosborn on 24 Mar, 2020 12:26 AM

It started to happen after a media sync initiated this time. With no add-ons running. It:s definitely connected to media sync.

4. 4 Posted by csosborn on 24 Mar, 2020 12:29 AM

I also keep getting this error:

A network error occurred.
    Error details: ⁨error sending request for url (): connection error: Broken pipe (os error 32)⁩

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 24 Mar, 2020 09:31 AM

I tried again by syncing media and/or aborting a media sync, but I'm afraid I can't reproduce this. Do you use any security/antivirus software on your machine?

6. 6 Posted by csosborn on 24 Mar, 2020 10:37 PM

No, I don't have any security software installed

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 Mar, 2020 10:40 AM

I'm at a loss, sorry. I'll keep an eye out for other reports.

8. 8 Posted by csosborn on 30 Mar, 2020 01:20 AM

I got this error, while using IINA (built upon MPV) to watch a movie:

Sound and video on cards will not function until mpv or mplayer is installed.

9. 9 Posted by kelciour on 30 Mar, 2020 11:03 AM

I got this error, while using IINA (built upon MPV) to watch a movie:
    Sound and video on cards will not function until mpv or mplayer is installed.

In this case, I guess, it's a different error since you were very likely using movies2anki add-on (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/939347702) as I'm not aware of any other add-on mentioning IINA and Anki ships with mpv or mplayer (if you're using alternate Anki version). But it's strange that you got this error since in this particular case, i.e. for a few hardcoded note types, the add-on will try to play the sound using mpv or IINA directly, i.e. without Anki, and this error message couldn't have happened.

Maybe try to reproduce it with all add-ons disabled, i.e. at first use Tools - Generate Mobile Cards, then disable movies2anki and all other add-ons and restart Anki (or hold down the Shift key while starting Anki), and review a few cards. If everything is fine, try to enable movies2anki add-on, restart Anki and review a few cards. If everything is fine, try to temporarily rename "movies2anki ..." note type to something else using Tools - Manage Note Types, e.g. "abc", and review a few cards.

10. 10 Posted by csosborn on 31 Mar, 2020 05:48 PM

Someone else had the same problem as my first issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/fsf9y3/audio_muting_are_after_a_dozen_reviews_restarting/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

My second issue is probably not related but I didn't have movies2anki enabled when I got the error.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Damien Elmes on 01 Apr, 2020 05:54 AM

Please try 2.1.24beta3 - do the issues still happen when using that version?

https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/beta-testing/1868-anki-2124-...

If so, if you open terminal.app and type

ps auxww | grep mpv | grep -v grep

you should see something like

dae 91968 0.0 0.0 5286984 30452 s002 S+ 3:52PM 0:00.13 mpv --idle --no-terminal --force-window=no --ontop --audio-display=no --keep-open=no --input-media-keys=no --no-config --include=/Users/dae/Library/Application Support/Anki2/mpv.conf --input-ipc-server=/var/folders/3d/v8zgjp1j21b4qb7135kcdtwm0000gn/T/mpv.vir2xq45

Please take the first number (eg, 91968 in this case) , and type it in after 'kill ', eg:

kill 91968

If you then review another card, does the audio play? If not, and you run the ps command again, is the output the same as the first time, or different?

12. 12 Posted by elijahdshervey on 01 Apr, 2020 02:31 PM

comment updated - turns out that was a red herring, the problem persists on PC

13. 13 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 01:01 AM

Tried what you recommended. Still no audio and the output numbers were different with every try inputing ps auxww | grep mpv

14. 14 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 01:08 AM

Now I have no audio at all, even after closing out and restarting the app

15. 15 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 01:21 AM

I can't study like this at all, what can I do to fix this? I don't understand, there was no problem before.

16. 16 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 01:22 AM

It's happening on 2.1.22 as well now, so .22 .23 and .24 beta

17. 17 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 01:29 AM

I restarted my computer and got audio back for two cards, the lost it. Before I could restart Anki and audio playback would return for a short period of time then it would go away, but now no matter how many times I restart, it never comes back.

This is all happening with stock Anki, all add-ons disabled.

Please help.

18. 18 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 04:06 PM

Need help please

19. 19 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 09:23 PM

I get this message first*

csosborn@Coltons-MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % ps auxww | grep mpv
    csosborn 50297 0.0 0.0 4268300 692 s000 S+ 4:33PM 0:00.00 grep mpv
    csosborn 50273 0.0 0.2 4434472 18064 ?? S 4:33PM 0:00.13 /Applications/Anki 2.app/Contents/Resources/audio/mpv --idle --no-terminal --force-window=no --ontop --audio-display=no --keep-open=no --input-media-keys=no --no-config --include=/Users/csosborn/Library/Application Support/Anki2/mpv.conf --input-ipc-server=/var/folders/kp/tzkk6vws64s8x8g1bcsctx700000gn/T/mpv.axcyseke

Whenever I kill the first number like to asked I get this message:

kill: kill 49215 failed: no such process

When I kill the second number, the audio comes back for a short time. If I leave Anki idle or edit a card, the audio drops again and I have to kill the second 5-digit number once again.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Damien Elmes on 04 Apr, 2020 10:48 PM

Thank you for testing - it seems like the audio player is getting stuck on your system for some reason. Please try the -alternate Anki version (either stable or beta) - it uses mplayer instead of mpv, so there's a good chance that will work around the issue for you.

21. 21 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 11:31 PM

That is like a band-aid for the problem though. Is there not a way that I can get it fixed?

22. 22 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 11:31 PM

Is there any way I can enable auto Dark Mode in MacOS with the alternate version?

23. 23 Posted by csosborn on 04 Apr, 2020 11:35 PM

I know this is messing with Anki's settings, but with standard Anki you can add this (defaults write net.ankiweb.dtop NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance false) to make Anki switch automatically with macOS dark mode.

What would alternate Anki's equivalent be for net.ankiweb.dtop ?

24. Support Staff 24 Posted by Damien Elmes on 06 Apr, 2020 03:22 AM

It's difficult for me to fix when I can't reproduce the problem on a machine here, so until the cause becomes apparent I'm afraid a workaround is the best I can offer. The alternate build does not support dark mode, but you can swap out the audio from the standard and alternate versions by command clicking on the alternate app, choosing "show package contents", and then copying the contents from the resources/audio folder to the same folder of the non-alternate version (after removing the existing contents in the latter)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac