changing the font used in {{type:}}

Tim

15 Feb, 2020 05:02 AM

I'm learning a Native language that uses unicode, such as tsitwanaˀa·ká (Oneida word for Seneca).

Everything works fine in Anki. However, in AnkiDroid the font that appears when I use {{type:Oneida}} does not support the unicode for Oneida special characters ˀ and ʌ. The Ariel font works fine in both, such as {{Oneida}}.

I thought maybe if I can switch the font used in {{type:Oneida}} to Ariel, then it would display correctly in AnkiDroid.

Is there a way to control the font when using {{type:Oneida}}?

I tried this:
<div style='font-family: arial'>{{type:Oneida}}</div>
but it doesn't work.

Any thoughts? Perhaps there is a way to get AnkiDroid to work without changing the fonts on Anki.

I've attached a file that shows the problem in AnkiDroid. You will notice the glottel stop ˀ does not display correctly.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Feb, 2020 09:20 PM

2. 2 Posted by Tim on 15 Feb, 2020 11:50 PM

Ok, I'll repost there. But apart from AnkiDroid, is there a way to change the font used for {{type:...}} in regular Anki? (I was just hoping that doing something in Anki -- with which I'm more familiar -- would have the desired effect in AnkiDroid without having to change anything in AnkiDroid -- but I shouldn't have mentioned AnkiDroid in this post; I don't mean to confuse site delineations).

3. 3 Posted by Tim on 16 Feb, 2020 12:48 AM

I'm back to wondering if I can specify a font when using {{type:Oneida}} from within PC Anki, to the Ariel font in particular. I already know that the Ariel font has strong unicode support and works with both Anki and AnkiDroid.

AnkiDroid does have advice on adding custom fonts with stronger unicode support, however, adding these will be beyond the capability of most students in our class. I'm afraid if I can't specify the font from within PC Anki, I will just have to settle for the {{type:...}} tag on some phones not displaying correctly.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2020 09:32 PM

The styling possible on the computer version is covered in the manual: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#checking-your-answer

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• AnkiDroid_screen_shot.jpg 34.6 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac