anki was not able to open my collection file

haidar

15 Jan, 2020 11:58 AM

Hi, i re-set my computer to factory setting becuase it was playing up for a while. i backed up anki deck.
i re-installed anki now on the new comp and i keep getting this message below on opening anki.
i can;t even open anki let alone import my old decks into it. i have tried literally everything. there is stuff about addons online but even still it doesnt seem to work. please help, really need it for medicie exams. thank you. im in australia, phone 0423 282 349.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Jan, 2020 11:57 PM

That indicates your collection is corrupt. Please make sure you're on the latest Anki, create a new profile, and then import a backup into the new profile.

Restoring an Automatic Backup (Recovering from Data Loss)

It looks like your decks are also on AnkiWeb, so you can restore from AnkiWeb if you are unable to locate any backups.

2. 2 Posted by pam on 11 May, 2020 07:58 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: anki was not able to open my collection file

i have 2.1.19 on both the desktop & laptop.

but i only got the problem on the laptop. so i can't run it on the laptop. (it has 3 json errors)

i also use it on Nexus 5. it works just fine.

it's only the laptop that's giving me the trouble i can't even open anything.

3. 3 Posted by Mehran on 10 Jun, 2020 11:01 PM

Hello,
    Upon installation of the software version 64 bit Windows 7/8/10 (2.1.26-standard), and starting the software for the first time on my windows 10, a window popped up which said "Anki was unable to open your collection file (Picture attached).
    I restarted and the same problem was seen. I could add a deck and sync data from Ankiweb. Now everything is working fine except for the point that when I copy data or table and paste them on a new card by Ctrl-V, it does not retain the source formatting. When I use Ankiweb, pasting is with its source formatting but not on my desktop Anki Can I fix this problem?
    Thank you

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Jun, 2020 11:07 AM

Hi Mehran,

Recent Anki versions preserve some formatting when pasting by default - there is an option in the preferences screen that controls it. I don't recall whether the functionality was changed after the version you're running or not.

Regarding the error, restoring from a backup or from a sync was the way to fix it - glad you were able to resolve the issue.

5. 5 Posted by Meh Sol on 11 Jun, 2020 02:24 PM

Thank you for the help

Mehran

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac