32-bit support for Anki 2.1.x

Stefano

01 Dec, 2019 10:07 PM

Dear Anki support/community,
after some time of non usage, I've just discovered that I have to update Anki to version 2.1.x before the end of January 2020 if I don't want to loose the possibility to sync to the web.
My problem is that I have Anki installed on an old 32-bit Linux-based computer which I would like to continue to use, but I've discovered that the new Anki 2.1.x does not exist for Linux 32 bit.

Does anybody know if such support still exists or I cannot upgrade Anki on my old PC?

Thanks in advance for any tips/hint/help.
Best regards,
Stefano

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 02 Dec, 2019 03:23 AM

Qt only provide 64 bit builds for recent versions of the toolkit, so I'm afraid you'll need a 64 bit Linux install to use the packaged version of Anki.

2. 2 Posted by Stefano on 02 Dec, 2019 08:26 AM

Hi Damien,
    thanks a lot for your quick reply.
    If there is no other choice, I will need to manage it.
    Best regards,
    Stefano

3. 3 Posted by mvf on 03 Dec, 2019 05:09 PM

Not to worry, you have tons of options. Here's just a few:

Downstream package:

There is no official Anki 32-bit package, but your distro might provide one, albeit they tend to be somewhat out of date. The closest thing to an official package is this Snap. There's also a (somewhat out of date) FlatPak available.

Running from source:

If none of the above work for you for some reason, you can install just the dependencies from your distro and run Anki from source. This gives you both the latest Anki AND the latest Qt/Python/etc. provided by your distro, but I only recommend this for Linux/Python/Qt veterans because there can be occasional compatibility issues.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Dec, 2019 08:21 PM

The snap appears to be x64 only.

If your distro has a 32 bit Qt build that includes WebEngine then you may be able to get things running, but please be aware I can't provide any support if you run into problems:

Third party Linux packages and source builds are not supported

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac