Maximum number of fields per note type

Martin

24 Nov, 2019 02:36 PM

Hi,

I created a note type with several hundred fields and the deck was working in older Anki versions. Was the amount of allowed fields per note type (Notiztyp) limited under Anki Version 2.15 (or probably since Anki 2.0)? Please refer to screenshot.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Martin

1. 1 Posted by Martin on 24 Nov, 2019 05:05 PM

Hi,

just an update
    1. Actual version on PC: 2.1.15-standard / windows 7
    Note Type: Italienisch - Themen
    2. In AnkiWeb, it is also showing the field # instead of the field content, after roundabout 10 lines
    3. However, in AnkiDroid (Android Smartphone) it is showing the table correct, No issue.
    Abviously a problem on PC. Therefore I deactivated all Add-Ons, restarted Anki, but no difference.

Best Regards,
    Martin

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 Nov, 2019 07:33 AM

Anki 2.1 limits the number of replacements to 100. Anki's templating system wasn't intended to be used with such a large amount of fields/cards, and certain operations like editing card templates can become very slow. I recommend you either create separate notes instead of trying to combine so much information into a single note, or render the content yourself outside of Anki and import the pre-rendered content into your notes.

3. 3 Posted by Martin on 25 Nov, 2019 08:29 PM

Dear Damien,

Just a last question. In the past it was working for the computer version and on AnkiDroid it is still working right now. Is it a big thing to change the limit?
    With this special note type I will show vocabularies belonging to a special topic at once. A reduction of information makes no sense for this purpose. The handling with this special note type is also no problem. It is still fast.

Best Regards,
    Martin

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 26 Nov, 2019 06:41 PM

The limit can be overridden in an add-on, but I still recommend against creating such a large note type. https://github.com/Arthur-Milchior/anki-better-card-generation

5. 5 Posted by Martin on 27 Nov, 2019 07:04 PM

Dear Damien,

great, it is working, thank you for our help.

Best Regards,
    Martin

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac