Imbedding Video In Anki 2.1

THOMAS BUSHAW

13 Nov, 2019 07:11 PM

I include short video (.mp4) clips in (imbedded) in many of my Anki flashcards. They display and play as desired when I use Anki 2.0. However, when I try to use Anki 2.1, the videos do not display. When I recently upgraded my Mac to OS 10.15 (Catalina), the videos stopped displaying even with Anki 2.0. However, everything continues to work fine with the iOS apps (iPad and iPhone)). I still use Anki 2.0 to maintain my database (revise cards, add new cards, etc.) but switch over to my iPad for actual card review and learning because of the video issue on my Mac.

Now that AnkiWeb syncing support for Anki 2.0 is going away on 1/1/2020, I'd to get this resolved once and for all so that I can get back to reviewing and learning on my Mac.

Any suggestions or links to proper methodologies for imbedding videos would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 10:22 PM

Hi Tom,

If you have a file called 'file.mp4', then putting '[sound:file.mp4]' in a field will show the video on all platforms. The computer version does not support embedding videos - they are played with an external media player.

2. 2 Posted by THOMAS BUSHAW on 14 Nov, 2019 08:27 AM

I was successful in imbedding videos (imbedded, not needing an external viewer) with the computer version (MacOS) using Anki 2.0, until MacOS Catalina. I have never got the imbedding to work with Anki 2.1 (MacOS Catalina or earlier versions).

> On Nov 13, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Damien Elmes <[email blocked]> wrote:

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 14 Nov, 2019 09:15 AM

Hi Tom,

Anki has only ever officially supported sound tags. You may have been able to get certain videos to embed in the past, but that was a side effect of the toolkit we were using rather than something Anki was explicitly supporting.

4. 4 Posted by THOMAS BUSHAW on 14 Nov, 2019 03:34 PM

Damien,

Ok, thanks for the information. I think I can continue my routine (successfully view cards with imbedded videos and with the dropping of syncing support for Anki 2.0) if I use the computer version 2.1 for maintaining the database (adding and revising cards) but use my iOS device for actually reviewing and learning.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 14 Nov, 2019 08:33 PM

Yep, that should work - and please note that AnkiMobile displays videos in sound tags inside the card, as a separate video player is not required on iOS.

6. 6 Posted by THOMAS BUSHAW on 14 Nov, 2019 11:35 PM

Right -- thanks. I like the way they appear (and sound) on my iPad although Anki 2.0 with MacOS pre-Catalina was fine, too, and had the advantage that I could do everything in one place. This split, though, is not a huge inconvenience.

Best,

Tom

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac