Anki 2.0

Guigs310

13 Nov, 2019 01:17 AM

Please Damian, don't stop letting the 2.0 version sync. I've tried using the 2.1, but it doesn't cut it for me, it makes me review cards like at 1/4 speed, and I've tried getting used to it for a couple of weeks but it just didn't click it for me. It's the same as old youtube and new youtube that got revamped today, it's so different and phone-like that it feels like it doesn't belong in a computer.

If you're going forward with keeping an unified version let people have an option on to what design they can chose so they can keep the classic version or the phone version.

To make it not too broad as to why it sucks for me, the windows are much smaller and for people who have small cards thats ok, but for most med students I'm guessing it isn't since most of mine answers (and I have about 12-15k cards right now all self made) are one-two lines but they have full details on to why that's the answer, so making this new design makes creating new cards living hell since you always have to adjust the size of the window.

The writing and spaces between letters is also different, it feels more zoomed in, while I prefer to have a broader view with info condensed in one point so I can focus, not move my head all the time to read a text.

Just leave us an option whether we want to keep the old design or the new one, radical changes like these shouldn't come with the inability to come back :/

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 02:58 AM

Commonly used windows in Anki remember the size you gave them. Which windows are you having trouble with that are not keeping their size?

I appreciate it can be troublesome to become familiar with new versions, but I'm afraid it is not practical to keep supporting old versions indefinitely. You are welcome to continue using Anki 2.0 after the cutoff date, but after that date you will either need to use Anki 2.1 for syncing, or manually copy your data to your other devices.

2. 2 Posted by KEEP 2.0 on 13 Nov, 2019 04:05 AM

You have so much backlash against the upgrade, why not listen to the community...2.1 has too many bugs that haven't been fixed in the last year; windows are way too slow, scrolling is slow, there are random bugs that make the screen spaz out, and a lot of the great add-ons for Anki aren't built yet for 2.1 (or will ever be).

3. 3 Posted by Arjun on 13 Nov, 2019 04:52 AM

Dear Damian, I understand you want to push for the newer versions of Anki.

I used Anki 2.1 for a whole year and I liked it. In fact, I liked it a lot! However, I then found out about essential add-ons such as Close overlapper and Heatmap that were missing from 2.1. Hence, I switched to 2.0 and now I have become HEAVILY dependent on Anki for my studies. Without these add-ons, I'd be lost!

I have no issue with switching to 2.1 as I actually PREFER the interface of 2.1 on my Mac. The big issue stopping me from reverting back to 2.1 is that these add-ons are not ready for 2.1 yet. I request that you wait till these add-ons are ready please :)

4. 4 Posted by abcderek on 13 Nov, 2019 04:55 AM

I have to agree, this is a terrible idea. Anki 2.1 is a downright pain to use...it's so slow, please listen to the community and don't do this.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 08:40 AM

Arjun: I believe Glutanimate provides 2.1 versions of both of those add-ons to people who contribute to his fundraising page.

abcderek: I appreciate that the newer toolkit Anki uses can be slower - particularly on Windows - but I'm afraid the older toolkit was deprecated years ago now, so it is not receiving any security fixes, and it does not support modern encryption standards. If you're on Windows, you can speed things up somewhat by adding an exception for Anki in Windows Defender.

6. 6 Posted by KEEP 2.0 on 13 Nov, 2019 09:40 AM

Can you at least FIX some of the glaring problems with 2.1...for instance, when I try to edit a card there's literally a 2 second delay before the card content shows. The toolkit is extremely slow, even on Mac...

7. 7 Posted by laheliadoparda on 13 Nov, 2019 12:42 PM

Hello, I've just updated from 2.0 to 2.1.15 and it continuously shows the following message: “Error establishing a secure connection. This is usually caused by antivirus, firewall or VPN software, or problems with your ISP.”

The problem is that Anki 2.1.15 is not able to synchronize. Before, with Anki 2.0 I had no problems at all. As a result, after years of using Anki, I will have to stop using it because of the new version error.

Is there anything I could do to solve this setback? Anki is essential for me.
    My operating system is Windows.

Thank you very much for your help.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 10:18 PM

KEEP: I'm not seeing such delays here - see attached. If you have an older machine some slowdown is to be expected, but you may also want to try disabling add-ons or testing in a fresh profile to rule out add-ons and your deck/tag count as the cause.

lahelia: Please see https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop/36813-stop-synci...

9. 9 Posted by Stephen on 14 Nov, 2019 01:13 AM

My kids and I have older Macs and we don't see these slowdowns with 2.1. My son and I prefer the newer looks in 2.1. My daughter didn't even notice the change. I have about 1,500 cards split between pasted large images and latex/svg. I definitely appreciate the extra work it takes to maintain two apps. I also prefer the experimental scheduler. All too often I want to review cards without messing with the scheduling info. Bravo to 2.1

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 14 Nov, 2019 09:00 AM

Thanks for taking the time to say that Stephen :-)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac