Cards added to wrong deck after CSV import

deisi92

16 Feb, 2018 12:40 PM

I wanted to notice you that you that there seems to be a bug in Anki.
When I import new cards from a csv file and select the deck,
most of them end up in the chosen one but some of them are randomly assigned to different decks.
Is this issue known? I use version 2.0.47.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2018 02:08 PM

2. 2 Posted by deisi92 on 17 Feb, 2018 08:45 AM

"ensure More>Deck Override is turned off"

Well, I don't have this option in Anki for desktop.
    I can set a certain card type to always be assigned to a fixed deck,
    which doesn't help either.
    The problem is also that it even updates cards from other decks with the same value.

3. 3 Posted by deisi92 on 17 Feb, 2018 08:53 AM

I think I understood that duplicate detection is done on card types instead of decks which is pretty counterintuitive and prevents you from reusing the same card type.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Feb, 2018 11:05 AM

The option is available via the More button that is shown when you click on Cards... from the editor.

Note types are designed to work that way - if duplicate checking worked based on decks you would not be able to put two different languages in a single deck.

5. 5 Posted by Phil on 01 Dec, 2018 08:45 AM

I believe this could be fixed if a new option was in the Basic Preferences options dialog:

"When adding, restrict to the current deck"

The closest option that I can choose is "When adding, default to the current deck". This makes new notes show up in my chosen deck, but any matching notes will go stomp on notes in other decks. I'm making decks based on books I'm studying from. There will be overlapping cards in the different decks. When I'm importing, I never want the imported lines to be compared against other decks. How does one request a feature addition?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 02 Dec, 2018 11:11 PM

A note's cards can potentially be in multiple decks at once, so decks do not make sense as a way to define uniqueness domains. You have two options: you can enable importing of duplicates in the import screen, or you can use different note types for the different material you're importing.

7. 7 Posted by Phil on 03 Dec, 2018 03:03 AM

I import my cards from a spreadsheet and I refine the data from time to time, so importing of duplicates would be catastrophic (each time I re-import, new/extra cards would be for everything imported, I believe). I'll use the second option - I'll make a different note type for each book's vocabulary, to avoid imports for one book modifying data for another book. Thank you for very much for your quick response. (and thank you for the description of why my suggestion wouldn't work. I didn't understand that the same cards could show up in multiple decks).

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Dec, 2018 07:27 AM

To clarify, notes can make multiple cards, and those cards may be placed in different decks depending on the deck override setting. Using a separate note type sounds like the best option in any case.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac