Publish Anki on Windows Store?

nicolas.raoul

25 Aug, 2016 04:33 AM

Damien, how about publishing Anki to the Windows Store?

It would avoid people starting to use another app with a similar name instead.
Registration is now a one-time $19 fee.
Getting software from one's OS store is more secure/convenient/up-to-date than downloading from individual websites (for instance I always use the Ubuntu software repository).

I find it hard to believe that the matter has never been discussed but apparently it is the case.

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 25 Aug, 2016 03:01 PM

Hi Nicolas,

In general, the licenses of proprietary app stores are not compatible with the GPL family of licenses, which means we cannot have Anki in them. From a little bit of research, it looks like the Windows app store licensing may be somewhat more permissive, but there are still a lot of hoops to jump through. We may consider looking into it in the future, but it wouldn't be easy and simple (plus it adds another channel we have to update every time Anki is updated, which adds up to a lot of extra work over time).

2. 2 Posted by nicolas.raoul on 16 Sep, 2016 06:27 AM

1) Legality:
    Actually, Anki CAN be published to the Windows Store: http://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/4460/can-a-gplv3-app-...

2) Maintenance:
    I would argue that stores make maintenance easier by ensuring that 90% of the users are always up-to-date, but the choice is up to the Anki team :-)

Please also consider the fact that anyone can copy the Anki source code, add advertisements, remove sync/shared features, and publish it to Windows Store under the "Anki" name, legally. After that happens, it will probably be impossible to take back the name, so I would suggest you "take the spot" as soon as possible.

Cheers!
    Nicolas

3. 3 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 17 Sep, 2016 02:06 AM

Hi nicolas,

On further research, it looks like the store's licensing terms have changed since the article I initially read on the topic was published -- at one point it was at least legally gray if not impossible.

We do not have any substantial problems with users on old versions -- of the people who write in here, I'd estimate 90-95% of people are on the latest version or only a couple of point releases behind. Granted, people who write in are more likely to have just downloaded Anki, but it doesn't really matter much if someone is on an old version if it isn't causing them or us any problems.

Please also consider the fact that anyone can copy the Anki source code, add advertisements, remove sync/shared features, and publish it to Windows Store under the "Anki" name, legally.

This is theoretically possible, but seems very unlikely. Even if it did happen, we could always use a slightly different name, and an official app with working syncing and sharing features would likely edge out an advertising-laden third-party version very quickly.

I'll let Damien weigh in on this to see if he has any further thoughts on the idea.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Sep, 2016 11:28 PM

The Windows Store doesn't support normal win32 apps - they need to be built using the new sandboxing architecture Microsoft are pushing. They've recently put out a tool that will apparently convert a win32 app over, though whether that will work with Anki or not I do not know - I will look into it at one point.

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 15 Dec, 2016 03:36 PM

This ticket has been automatically closed due to inactivity. If you are still having issues or need to continue this discussion, please feel free to reply.

If you are not the original poster but are experiencing a similar issue, please create a new thread and include a link to this one if appropriate.

6. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 15 Dec, 2016 03:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac