Anki intermittently segfaults after suspend on Ubuntu Linux

Kyle Barbour

14 Feb, 2016 06:40 AM

Not every time, but regularly, suspending my laptop (a Lenovo X1 gen 3 Thinkpad running Ubuntu) will cause Anki to crash. Sometimes Ubuntu catches this and notifies me that a crash has happened, otherwise not. There appear to be no other symptoms and I've been unable to determine what causes a particular suspend instance to crash.

System information:

Hardware: Lenovo X1 Thinkpad, generation 3
Linux kernel: 3.19.0-49-generic
Anki version: 2.0.33

Crashes generate a log in /var/crash which titles the crash, "anki crashed with SIGSEGV in QWidget::event()". I've attached an example crash log in case that's helpful.

Any idea of what might be going on? Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 14 Feb, 2016 06:46 AM

It's worth noting that sometimes it doesn't occur with suspending at all, but often that's the trigger. However, whenever a crash happens, it's when I'm not using it. I've never seen it crash while I'm going through a deck or editing cards. It only crashes - at least, thus far - when I'm doing other things while taking a break from Anki.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Feb, 2016 06:42 AM

Anki doesn't have any code that triggers on a suspend, so I'm afraid this is likely a bug with the version of Qt you have on your system.

3. 3 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 15 Feb, 2016 07:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, it doesn't only occur on suspend - it's unclear what the trigger is. I don't have issues with any other Qt-based programs.

4. 4 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 15 Feb, 2016 08:37 AM

I attempted to interest the Qt developers, and they're sending it back to you guys (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51126). Sorry, I'm not sure what to do here. I'd like to help close this issue, and I'm happy to try and figure it out.

5. 5 Posted by Dave_L on 15 Feb, 2016 12:05 PM

The response in that bug report says "We need a more detailed set of instructions to reproduce the issue and/or a minimal testcase."

Perhaps if you provided that, they would investigate it further. For example:
    1. Download the file ABC from web site DEF.
    2. Install the application as follows ... (detailed instructions)
    3. Launch Anki with the command GHI.
    4. Wait X minutes and then suspend.
    etc.

I use Ubuntu 12.04.5, but haven't encountered this problem. But I only run Anki when I'm actively doing reviews, so it's not likely that a suspend would occur at that time.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2016 06:31 AM

The Qt developers will expect the minimum amount of code necessary to reproduce the problem, which involves chopping out various bits of Anki and seeing if the problem reoccurs, and slowly narrowing it down to particular library calls - something that is difficult for me to help you with as I do not have a machine that has this problem. I'll keep an ear out for further reports of this in the future, but I'm afraid I can't give you any ETA on when I'll have time to try isolate this - you may find it more timely to upgrade/downgrade your OS or run Anki in an emulator instead.

7. 7 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 16 Feb, 2016 06:32 AM

All good. Thanks for the advice and hopefully if it comes up with another person between us we can figure it out :)

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Feb, 2016 06:59 AM

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, and thank you for the report!

9. 9 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 16 Feb, 2016 07:01 AM

All good! I knew when I submitted this that it's the worst bug report I've ever submitted - really very bad data - but I just can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. Hoped the crashlog might have something relevant and if not maybe there will be others down the line posting things smarter than me :)

10. 10 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 28 Feb, 2016 03:35 PM

Please let us know if you ever run into more information, and we'll keep our eyes out for other people with the problem or anything that might help.

11. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 28 Feb, 2016 03:35 PM.

12. Soren Bjornstad re-opened this discussion on 09 May, 2016 07:34 PM

13. 11 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 09 May, 2016 07:34 PM

Hi Kyle,

I don't know if you've managed to resolve the problem, but as a workaround I created an increase autosave frequency add-on, which doesn't solve the problem but does make intermittent crashes less annoying.

14. 12 Posted by Kyle Barbour on 11 May, 2016 06:44 AM

Hello Soren!

Thank you! I haven't resolved the problem, so this might help out. Much appreciated!

15. 13 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 11 May, 2016 09:02 PM

You're welcome!

16. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 11 May, 2016 09:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac