Cloze Overlapper [Official thread]

Glutanimate

25 Feb, 2017 07:47 PM

This is the official support thread for Cloze Overlapper. Please direct all of your questions, suggestions, and support requests regarding the add-on here.

Showing page 4 out of 5. View the first page

1. 91 Posted by Ophthaluke on 21 Dec, 2017 05:06 PM

Hi there,

I'm using this Addon as a core where all my studying is evolving around. To this day I'm very happy with it except one issue (or not?) I did run into.

I did use the option to suspend full clozes initially but I it never unsuspends. I do this now manually, but it would be more comfortable if this would work automatically. I don't know if this is supposed to work like this or if I do have to wait a bit longer, but I have the individual clozes of a note at about 1-2m +.

Thanks in advance

2. 92 Posted by Dave on 26 Dec, 2017 11:41 AM

Is there any way to easily change all my cloze cards into cloze overlapping cards with all the cloze deletions in the right place?

3. 93 Posted by Eric Auld on 26 Feb, 2018 04:36 PM

Thank you for your app! I just bought you a "meal" on the donation page.

I'd like to describe a feature that I think would be great for Cloze Overlapper:

In Beamer (the slideshow format in LaTeX), there is a way to occlude things so that you never need to write the actual slide number. (If you already know about this, sorry, just skip this paragraph and the next one.) You can occlude in Beamer using various functions like \uncover, \visible, \only, \onslide, etc. Most of these have the option to keep a running counter. A period symbol refers to the current value of the counter. So if your counter is at 5, and you write \visible<.->, it will get you the same thing as \visible<5->, which says that what follows should be visible on slides 5 and after. If you replace a period with a plus sign, that will increment the counter and then return the incremented value. So if your counter is at 5, and I write \visible<+->, what follows will be visible from slide 6 onward, and the counter will be set to 6.

The counter is superior to actually writing the slide number, if I might later want to edit my slide. Say I want to add something. If I had wrote out all the slide numbers explicitly, once I added my new occluded object, everything after it has to have its number increased. But if I was smart and wrote everything in terms of periods and plus signs, I can just insert my new occluded object using a period or a plus, and everything after it will automatically be reindexed as it should.

This feature would really help me when I use Cloze Overlapper, because I often make long cards with 12-16 occlusions in them, and then I'll go back and add something, or remove something, and then I have to relabel everything.

Thanks for hearing my suggestion, and best wishes!

4. 94 Posted by Glutanimate on 26 Feb, 2018 04:40 PM

Hey Eric,

not sure if my reply here came through, so I'm posting it again just in case:

Thanks so much for your generous contribution! I really appreciate the support.

I'm very glad to hear that you found Cloze Overlapper to be useful for your studies. Your suggestion about introducing a cloze tag without a counter is very interesting. I've definitely found myself manually updating cloze indices in the past, and was always quite annoyed by it.

I'm not sure how difficult this will be to implement, but I'd definitely like to explore your suggestion for one of the next releases.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comment and your support!

Best of luck with your studies!

– Aristotelis

5. 95 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 27 Feb, 2018 12:56 PM

Hi Glutanimate!

When I added some cloze overlapping notes and then switch note types to add other stuff, the 1,1,0 | n,n,n,n stays in the new note type i selected so i have to delete it then. Would be nice if that could be changed!

6. 96 Posted by Alexis on 03 Mar, 2018 11:11 PM

@Dave

I followed the following procedure to convert some 400 hundred Cloze cards to Cloze-ol in an acceptable amount of time (~5min):
    1 - Filter the cards in the browser "<your-own-filter> card:cloze card:1"
    2 - Select the cards, from the menu Edit->Find and Replace
    3 - Fill with the following:
    In: Text
    Find: \{\{c([0-9]+)::([^\}]+)\}\}
    Replace with: [[oc\1::\2]]
    [x] Treat input as Regular expression
    4 - Replace
    5 - With cards still selected, from the menu Edit->Change Note Type
    6 - Select Cloze (Overlapping), confirm.
    7 - Filter the new cards in the browser "<your-own-filter> card:cloze-ol card:1"
    8 - The fun begin:
    8.a - Select card
    8.b - Select the any field (I used the closest, 'Original')
    8.c - Press Alt+Shift+C
    8.d - Repeat with next card

My reason for doing this, was to automatically generate a full Cloze card for each Cloze note, with expectation to improve context-free recall.
    I preset the default settings to all,1,all before proceeding with the above.

Many thanks to Aristotelis for his jewel addons.

7. 97 Posted by Alexis on 04 Mar, 2018 11:23 AM

I apologize for double posting, today I have a question:
    Is there a mean by which the title could be prompted as one of cloze, but obviously, still be displayed in the ful Cloze card ?
    Sometime, I would like to recall the topic which underpins the sequence, this would be especially useful for biology/med notes.
    Perhaps is there a clever trick to achieve a similar result ?

Thanks !

8. 98 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 04 Mar, 2018 02:23 PM

» Hi Glutanimate!

When I added some cloze overlapping notes and then switch note types to add other stuff, the 1,1,0 | n,n,n,n stays in the new note type i selected so i have to delete it then. Would be nice if that could be changed! «

that was stupid on my side. ignore it.

9. 99 Posted by Alexis on 05 Mar, 2018 12:22 PM

I found a quick hack to my previous question, regarding having a special "title" handling in the "full cloze" card.

Thanks to the flexibility of Glut's code, I was able to improvise a small modification. I wanted to keep things minimal to avoid introducing bugs, or altering the structure.

This modification adds an option to keep a specific cloze, numbered "oc0::", visible in the full cloze card.
    Note that this only applies if you willingly use the index "0" instead of "1" as a starting point. The addon will behave as usual if you leave indices in peace.

The attached picture illustrates the principles.

The modification is as follow:
    1 - Open generator.py, from the addon directory
    2 - In the "generate" method:
    Replace: "fullsnippet = self.formatCloze(items, self.maxfields + 1)"
    With: "fullsnippet = self.formatCloze(items, self.maxfields + 1, keys)"
    3 - Replace the "formatCloze" method with:
    " def formatCloze(self, items, nr, keys=None):
            """Apply cloze deletion syntax to item"""
            res = []
            for i, item in enumerate(items):
                if nr == self.maxfields + 1 and keys != None and int(keys[i]) == 0: # oc0 visible Title edit
                    res.append(str(item))
                elif not hasattr(item, "__iter__"): # not an iterable
                    res.append(self.cformat % (nr, item))
                else:
                    res.append([self.cformat % (nr, i) for i in item])
            return res"

That's it.

Now keep in mind, this really is a hack, and that Glutanimate didn't give his consent for it. Use it at your own peril !
    So far it has worked fine in my short experience of it.

10. 100 Posted by Esteban on 07 Mar, 2018 11:22 AM

Hi.
    when I press space to reveal the answer it scrolls up or down because I have pretty big cards.And it's driving me nuts because everytime I have to counter-scroll.How do I turn off scrolling UP or Down when i press space?
    I searched on google and some guy said "remove id=answer" but I can't find this line.

11. 101 Posted by Alice on 15 Mar, 2018 05:54 PM

Hi Glutaminate,

I have encountered a problem: It seems that anything that I type in the original box as superscript or subscript becomes a new cloze text. For example: in H20, where the 2 is a subscript, the subscript 2 itself becomes a cloze deletion. Is there any way I can solve this problem? I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

12. 102 Posted by Glutanimate on 21 Mar, 2018 01:32 PM

@Alexis:

That's a cool hack! Thanks for sharing it with us.

@Esteban:

Does this only happen with Cloze Overlapper cards, or with any type of cards that have a scrollbar to the right?

@Alice:

Thanks for the report! This is a known issue and something I hope to be able to address once I find the time (https://github.com/glutanimate/cloze-overlapper/issues/5).

What you could try for now is to apply the cloze markers manually. In some cases the cloze hotkey (Ctrl+Shift+C) might be able to deal with these types of formatting. So you might want to try highlighting each individual item/line that you want to be clozed, and using that hotkey on it (just like you would on a regular Anki cloze deletion cards). Should that not work (which also happens for regular Anki clozes sometimes), you could try writing the cloze tags manually (i.e. typing [[c1:: and ]] before and after the phrase, respectively).

13. 103 Posted by Alexis on 22 Mar, 2018 02:26 PM

Quick update, fix the case where there are several cloze items for oc0::.

------------------------
    "
        def formatCloze(self, items, nr, keys=None):
            """Apply cloze deletion syntax to item"""
            res = []
            for i, item in enumerate(items):
                if nr == self.maxfields + 1 and keys != None and int(keys[i]) == 0:
                    formatlbd = lambda _nr, _item : _item
                else:
                    formatlbd = lambda _nr, _item : self.cformat % (_nr, _item)

if not hasattr(item, "__iter__"): # not an iterable
                    res.append(formatlbd(nr, item))
                else:
                    res.append([formatlbd(nr, i) for i in item])
            return res
    "

14. 104 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 30 Mar, 2018 11:19 AM

Found an interesting bug as you see in the pictures.

deleting the power format pack things did resolve it though. I then added the power format pack things again and everything was fine.

15. 105 Posted by spherocyte100 on 11 Oct, 2018 07:01 AM

hi
    Today all of a sudden the shortcut Shift+ Ctrl+ Alt+D stopped working!!!
    I tried reinstaling the add on, restarting the pc but nothing works. However other shortcuts are working fine like Shift+ Ctrl+ Alt+C, or Shift+ Ctrl+D
    Any help appreciated

16. 106 Posted by Jed on 22 Oct, 2018 10:12 AM

Hi
    Can someone help me with this add on, im downloaded my cards with this add on features from my pc on my ipad. My problem is it doesnt show continously. It skips and shows other cards and then it will go back

Sorry for my english

17. 107 Posted by malcolm.b.ander... on 23 Oct, 2018 05:01 AM

Sometimes when I edit a cloze overlap card, (like taking out the top line)
    The top line won't show up in "Show Original" but it will show up when reviewing the cards.
    It's like the cards don't get regenerated to reflect the update.
    But now as I'm trying to duplicate symptoms, I can't get it to happen.

18. 108 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 23 Oct, 2018 05:21 AM

Hi Malcolm!

When you edit cloze overlapper cards you have to press that little [.]] in the top Right to confirm the changes.

19. 109 Posted by Emerald Pham on 24 Oct, 2018 06:08 PM

Hello,

Maybe about 10 percent of the time (not sure as this is just a guess) using Anki overlapper with music as the title fails to play the audio content, working again when it's readded. I'm curious about whether this issue has affected others? I've attached an example. Thank you.

20. 110 Posted by malcolm.b.ander... on 25 Oct, 2018 05:17 AM

Hi Fin - Thank you SO much. That is not obvious at all. I would never have found that without your help.

21. 111 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 25 Oct, 2018 06:14 AM

Hi Malcolm

There are great tutorials for most addons on YouTube. You can check those if you run into more problems :)

Greetings

Fin

22. 112 Posted by Richard Hawran on 05 Dec, 2018 06:14 PM

Any chance on an Anki 2.1 update?

23. 113 Posted by DOIT on 27 Dec, 2018 07:11 AM

I have long cards made with cloze overlapper. Every time I review those cards I want Anki to show (scroll automatically and show) the cloze position instead of the start of the cards so that I don't have to scroll every time. Is there any javascript code or any other hacks to do that?

24. 114 Posted by MBBS GOD on 05 Mar, 2019 03:43 AM

How to use cloze overlapper for tables XD?

25. 115 Posted by Jillian on 14 Apr, 2019 07:17 PM

Hello Glutanimate! I came across your add-on while trying to do something... I have NOT tried the add-on b/c it's 2.0 AND b/c it doesn't seem to do what i'm looking for anyway :) I'm messaging you because you seem like a person who knows a lot about {{cloze}} tricks

I'm wondering if there's a way to do a cloze WITHIN a cloze (#inception), to EXPAND on information contained in the first cloze.
    After answering the first cloze, you'd graduate and be able to answer new detail in the second cloze. For example, I want the card to read like...

Card 1: CHF maintenance w/ [...]
    Card 2: CHF maintenance w/ oral loop + ACE-I + BB (specifically [...])
    Which would expand as...
    CHF maintenance w/ oral loop + ACE-I + BB (specifically carvedilol, metoprolol, bisoprolol)

I thought I was capable of doing this, but not so. This is what I tried...
    CHF maintenance w/ {{c1::oral loop + ACE-I + BB (specifically {{c2::carvedilol, metoprolol, bisoprolol}})}}
    But it's all wrong. Please see attached picture.

Can you help? :)

26. 116 Posted by Aleksej on 14 Apr, 2019 07:48 PM

Jillian,

For new cards, try "Push Paradox (Sibling Cardistry)" by Lovac42: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1797395052

See also Lovac42's reply in https://github.com/lovac42/PushParadox/issues/2, where he says Cloze Overlapper uses sibling spacing. I haven't tried anything after reading that (just reduced the number in Push Paradox' settings), but I originally thought his "Search for SS on ankiweb." was about add-ons rather than than the manual (I am not sure now, but CO's description was complex and I think I may have skipped reading it), and then I suppose some of the relevant add-ons would be "Sibling Spacing" (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2951410923, only for Anki 2.0) and "show due siblings in order / no same day spacing(randomization) for siblings" (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/268644742, for both 2.0 and 2.1).

27. 117 Posted by iuri on 22 Jun, 2019 02:04 PM

Hello, I just love Cloze Overlapper. Thank you very much, Glutanimate!

Nevertheless, I want to report a bug. After creating cloze overlapping cards, I can't edit them on the browser. Actually, I can edit, but when I review those edited cards, the new changes I have made just don't show up. The cards continue appearing with their original form, in spite of the changes I've made.

28. 118 Posted by Glutanimate on 22 Jun, 2019 02:09 PM

Hi iuri,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like CO.

When editing cards in the browser you need to manually re-generate the clozes using the cloze generation button ([.]]). Due to technical reasons, automatic re-generation is only supported when editing cards from the reviewer.

Hope that helps :)

29. 119 Posted by iuri e. on 22 Jun, 2019 02:54 PM

WOW, thank you so much for the answer and the celerity in answering my
    questions! You are the best!

30. 120 Posted by Simon Bond on 30 Jul, 2019 06:43 PM

Hi there,
    I just wanted to download Cloze Overlapper, but I got this error message:
    "Error downloading 969733775: Invalid code, or add-on not available for your version of Anki"
    I have the Version 2.1.11 of Anki.
    To minimize the possibility of a simple bug I reopened Anki several times and also tried again after a restart of the computer.
    I hope the root of this problem can be found and fixed.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac