Incremental Reading add-on discussion & support

luoliyan

03 Feb, 2017 08:32 AM

This is the "official" thread for version 3 of the Incremental Reading add-on.

If you have a GitHub account, adding an issue to the issue tracker is the best option, since it doubles as a to-do list for me. Otherwise, feel free to post questions, bug reports, or feature suggestions here. I will answer whenever the planets are favourably aligned (which is most days, because I have limited impulse control).

Happy reading.

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by br on 18 Oct, 2019 12:57 PM

@Anders
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I am currently including some kind of IR feature in this add-on: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1781298089, and I would be very interested to hear some opinions from someone who has used this technique. (Assuming that you are on 2.1)
    There is a short paragraph on the add-on's description site (search for "IR"). Would love to hear some suggestions :)

2. 62 Posted by Error when impo... on 22 Nov, 2019 10:33 AM

The remote server has returned an error: HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden)

I receive this error when I try to add articles :(

Any ideas on how to fix?

3. 63 Posted by Ari on 30 Nov, 2019 08:13 PM

I get the same error as #62 above. I didn't get it at Anki 2.1.13, then upgraded to 2.1.15 and now I get the error. Have also been getting quite a few other Anki errors here and there. Really love the plugin, though, so I'm continuing to use it.

I'm on a Mac, OSX 10.14.6.

4. 64 Posted by tfj92 on 27 Dec, 2019 05:29 PM

Is it normal that when I hit soon or later that I keep seeing the same cards (full article and/or extracted text)? What if I want them to disappear

Edit: Read rest of thread, apparently is normal behaviour

5. 65 Posted by tfj92 on 27 Dec, 2019 05:34 PM

@ Everyone with the HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden) error, I was having this as well, I thought it was related to websites that required login (which are websites I want to learn from eg. UpToDate, Clinical Key, etc), but then realized some open access websites are also giving this error. My way around this (took a bit of time to figure out, but got the idea from previous comments) was to save the html version of the page I want and use XAMPP to load the page on a local server.

Edit: I'm borderline spamming but there's an even better solution to all of this, Anki 2.1.16 Beta 3 allows you to paste and preserves enough of the original article's format that it's usable. More info - https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop/36295-paste-while-preserving-formatting-on-anki-21

This means at least we no longer have to use XAMPP (I was having trouble getting it to display images), and can copy and paste directly from web pages.

6. 66 Posted by tfj92 on 27 Dec, 2019 08:57 PM

@luoliyan "@Stan: Yes, that is intentional. The Anki scheduler is disabled for incremental reading cards. The concept, as first developed, is that extracts should be refined down to the point that they can be used as regular flashcards. Until that point, they aren't meant to be spaced-repetition. That said, the IR scheduling has a lot of room for improvement, as Aleksej often reminds me."

Ok but If I start to build up on the number of articles + number of extracted paragraphs, I definitely don't want to see them all every day, does pressing later always send them to the end? Will new articles and paragraph extracts I have be added first? Should I be suspending articles and extracts that I've already successfully transformed into the cloze deck?

This is how I currently organized my decks (see attached image)

7. 67 Posted by An-png on 29 Feb, 2020 07:33 PM

Hello,

This addon does not seem to work on Anki 2.1.20 on Linux. (the version I am using is 4.10.3)
    It can't extract text from the imported document, and therefore extracts or notes cannot be created.
    "h" to highlight doesn't work for me. "x" to extract doesn't work. If you input the title, it creates a note with a title and an empty text - it cannot extract text. The custom shortcut to create notes doesn't work. Since it fails to create text, the notes it tries to create is empty, and therefore is never added.
    https://github.com/luoliyan/incremental-reading/issues/103
    Someone else seems to be having this bug as well, here is the github issue.

Thanks for the help.

8. 68 Posted by BJ on 12 Apr, 2020 06:52 AM

When I wanted to do a cloze card (with two clozes) out of the text using the shortcut I got the following problem:

Debuginformationen:
    Anki 2.1.23 (de9543ff) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.13.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Mac 10.15.4
    Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=1
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-04-11 16:22:15

Caught exception:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "aqt/webview.py", line 446, in handler
      File "aqt/editor.py", line 444, in <lambda>
      File "aqt/addcards.py", line 239, in afterSave
      File "aqt/editor.py", line 471, in fieldsAreBlank
    IndexError: list index out of range

9. 69 Posted by Macallik on 02 Jun, 2020 01:39 AM

Hey @BJ Did you ever get a solution for that? I'm experiencing the same thing. I found that I can ignore the error by just going back to the main anki window and hitting 'resume' to launch a new window but they eventually start piling up.

Anki 2.1.22 (0ecc189a) Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Linux
    Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=1
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-06-01 18:09:13

Caught exception:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "aqt/webview.py", line 446, in handler
      File "aqt/editor.py", line 444, in <lambda>
      File "aqt/addcards.py", line 239, in afterSave
      File "aqt/editor.py", line 471, in fieldsAreBlank
    IndexError: list index out of range

10. 70 Posted by Macallik on 02 Jun, 2020 03:32 AM

Update since luoliyan is likely watching and I have seen the issue on the Add On page as well as on Github (#37, #85)

I played around for a few more hours and got things working on my end. I think the issue revolves around the 'Source' field. I (and maybe others?) wasn't using the Source field at all which could be why I was throwing an error.

Since Source doesn't play a part in my extracts/cards, what I did was go to Tools -> Manage Note Types -> Highlight 'IR3' -> Fields -> Highlight 'Source' -> Delete.

That updated all of my existing cards. Anki prompted me after the edit and I chose force upload to AnkiWeb (so make sure you save the data if you are doing this workaround)

Now, my existing extracts can easily be turned into Cloze cards without crashing Anki.

11. 71 Posted by Macallik on 03 Jun, 2020 12:52 AM

So.... the workaround only works temporarily lol.

The error message no longer happens when I turn extracts into cloze deletions, but

12. 72 Posted by Macallik on 03 Jun, 2020 12:53 AM

So.... the workaround only works temporarily lol.

The error message no longer happens when I try to save an extract-turned-cloze, but now, it bombs out when I try to turn text into an extract. Ahhh welll.

13. 73 Posted by kovilo on 10 Jun, 2020 07:28 AM

I have just started using the incremental reading add on (v 4.10.3) on ANKI (Version 2.1.20 [47a1bf8b]
    Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1) for Windows 10 but find that I can't use either the highlight-"h" feature or the delete content-"z" feature once I have selected a text. I open up my IR deck, see my IR content (a Wikipedia article), then select a text and press "h" and ... nothing. The same when I press "z". I have checked the highlighting colors option and the highlight should turn yellow background but nothing changes. The undo-"u" and extract-"x" shortcuts do what they are supposed to do. Is there something I'm missing? Thank you :)

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac