[Official discussion] Image Occlusion Enhanced

Glutanimate

01 Apr, 2016 11:41 AM

Hey guys,

most of you will already be familiar with the Image Occlusion 2 add-on for Anki, but for those of you who don't know: IO is probably the most efficient way to create image flashcards. You can use it to cover up parts of an image which you then have to guess while reviewing your cards.

Sadly, IO hasn't received any significant updates in a while now and while it's a great tool it has quite a few problems and annoyances.

I grew tired of these issues a while ago and decided to start working on an updated version of the add-on. It's been two months since then and my fork of IO, Image Occlusion Enhanced, has finally reached a point where I feel it's polished enough for a public release.

Here are some screenshots:

As for the changes, here's a quick overview:

• new tabbed interface
  • multi-line entry fields
  • new buttons for adding notes
  • advanced keyboard controls
  • new note type with more fields
  • ability to customize field names
  • ability to reuse existing IO notes
  • synchronization between image occlusion editor window and Anki's editor
  • remember last used directory

Check out the README for a full changelog.

Installation

Image Occlusion Enhanced is now available on Ankiweb.

Please feel free to post your feedback and suggestions in this thread.

1. 1 Posted by Thales on 02 Apr, 2016 03:34 PM

Hey, I just came here on your indication. Thank you so much for your effort! Please, keep up the good work, and count on me to report any bug I may find.

2. 2 Posted by noodleC on 14 Apr, 2016 10:24 AM

Thank a lot! I was afraid that the best addon may going to die at this rate.
    About the implementation of reuse images from cards. The original behavior of the patch was that you can select any image from editor to use it in IO, while the current is faster on IO notes, maybe it good idea to keep original behavior too?

3. 3 Posted by Glutanimate on 14 Apr, 2016 02:41 PM

About the implementation of reuse images from cards. The original behavior of the patch was that you can select any image from editor to use it in IO, while the current is faster on IO notes, maybe it good idea to keep original behavior too?

The idea behind including that patch was to get one step closer to being able to edit existing IO notes. The add-on is still not quite there yet, but the next version will feature the ability to preserve all labels and occlusions in addition to the image and text fields.

At this point the code has strayed quite far from that inital patch. Reimplementing this feature would require quite a bit of work, but it's doable.

The thing is, I simply don't see the benefit in that. Copying your image into the editor first, only to then run IO simply doesn't seem like an efficient workflow to me. Even more so now that IO remembers the last used directory.

Of course I might be missing something here, so I'd appreciate it if you could help me understand your workflow and why you would like to see this feature reintroduced.

Also, thanks for the feedback!

4. 4 Posted by Thales Alexandr... on 14 Apr, 2016 03:26 PM

Thales Alexandre Ferreira Albuquerque's Avatar

Enviado: quinta-feira, 14 de abril de 2016 11:41
    Para: [email blocked]
    Assunto: Re: [Official discussion] Image Occlusion 2.0 Enhanced [Add-ons #7049]

5. 5 Posted by noodleC on 14 Apr, 2016 05:52 PM

I use this to generate more cards from the existing image all the time. While current behavior is ok, to use this card's note should be IOE, which is not very intuitive and also hinders user from reusing images from other notes.
    ___
    Also there is an old issue with svg editor, it creates new image file every time the 'create' button is pressed, if the source is not reused from editor.

6. 6 Posted by Glutanimate on 15 Apr, 2016 11:47 AM

I fear that having three different behaviours depending on whether the IO button is pressed on an empty note, an IO note, or a note with an image in it, might turn out to be much more confusing and unintuitive than the current situation; but I'll give it another thought. Thanks for your input!

Also there is an old issue with svg editor, it creates new image file every time the 'create' button is pressed, if the source is not reused from editor.

Noted. This is because IO assigns a random file name whenever you add new cards. I'll put this on the list of things to fix, but it's a low priority right now, as most users only add cards once per IO session.

7. 7 Posted by noodleC on 21 Apr, 2016 10:40 PM

There is one thing that is bothering me with whole IO thing since the beginning. The huge number of svg files. Currently I have 3700 one and it is rapidly growing, syncing becomes a really serious problem. Is it possible, even in theory. to keep things down to, say, 1 svg file per session? In my mind it seems to me that this could be done via layers/groups, but I don't know for sure.

8. 8 Posted by Nate on 21 Apr, 2016 11:41 PM

Can someone please help with Image Occlusion problem please?

All of the sudden it is showing the selected question (that is normally red) in white instead. Making it impossible to see questions on a white background. It is normally red and i didn't change anything. When i tried to change the option under image occlusion question shape color back to red. It shows red now, but its not working when i do the actual cards.

Any help?! thanks!

9. 9 Posted by Glutanimate on 22 Apr, 2016 06:11 PM

@noodleC:

I'm afraid there's no way to change that. The only reason Image Occlusion cards are cross-platform compatible is because they use a combination of very simple HTML and CSS to render the occlusions. Introduce anything more complicated into that, e.g. Javascript or more complex interactive SVG features and there's a very good chance IO cards won't work properly on Ankidroid, Ankimobile, etc.

@Nate:

Try restarting Anki after changing the color settings. That should set the new colors for any new cards you create. As for the old cards: I'm afraid they'll stay the way they are. The settings don't apply to cards you've already created.

10. 10 Posted by Marcelo Avila on 25 May, 2016 11:24 AM

this is a great addon and I am very thankful for its development,

I would just like to point out something that might help other users as well,
    Sometimes I create lots of cards with very similar headers and when later browsing through the cards I often have to scroll down in order to see the the "Original Image" of the card, since the fields are in the following order:
    Question > Answer > SVG > Orig. Img > Header > Footer > ...
    I think it would make more sense to have it in the following order (or somewhat similar...):
    Header > Remarks > Orig. Img > SVG > ... (from here onwards doesn't really matter)

This is of course not the most relevant issue, but if its not that difficult to change, or if you could point me on to how I could change it myself, it would be great.
    Thanks a lot,
    -marcelo

Thanks a lot

11. 11 Posted by Glutanimate on 25 May, 2016 02:13 PM

Hi Marcelo,

thanks for your suggestion. I'm glad you like the add-on.

I agree that a different field order would make more sense, but there are multiple issues at play here:

1. The first field always has to be unique, otherwise the note gets marked as a duplicate. This limits us to either using the "Question" or the "Answer" field for the first field because they're the only ones that vary between different notes.
    2. The only way to work around the duplication issue would be to add another field with a unique identifier for each note, but this would be a nightmare in terms of backwards compatibility with earlier versions of IO 2.0.
    3. Even if we could start from a clean slate without having to account for existing notes that users have made, having an additional field simply to work around the duplicates issue would still be quite an ugly solution that would probably confuse a lot of users.

So due to legacy reasons and due to how Anki handles duplicates I'm afraid we're stuck with the current field order. However, even without these issues, changing the field order at this point would still be major undertaking as its hardcoded all over the add-on.

The only solution I can offer is to install this add-on which should make scrolling the card view in the browser a bit quicker, at least.

12. 12 Posted by Marcelo Avila on 25 May, 2016 04:19 PM

great! Thanks for the quick answer.
    The suggested add-on helps quite a bit.

keep the good work,
    -marcelo

13. 13 Posted by Björn on 25 Jun, 2016 04:05 PM

Wonderful addon.
    But is it possible to add text (for example a question) to a hiding shape ? So on the front side there is shown the question and on the back side the answer behind it ?

14. 14 Posted by Glutanimate on 25 Jun, 2016 07:24 PM

I can see two ways of doing this:

1. Using the labels feature in the masks editor to place your text directly on top of the image. See "layers dialog" in the SVG-Edit section of the manual
    2. Using the Header and Footer fields. After adding your occlusions go to the browser and find the notes that were added to Anki. You can now edit the Header and Footer field for each note, i.e. for each occlusion, separately.
  15. 15 Posted by David on 16 Aug, 2016 12:56 AM

I'm having a ton of trouble using this add-on. Every time I paste an image or screenshot and try to occlude the text using the rectangle or oval icons, I scroll over the text I want to occlude and the add-on just glitches all over the place and the rectangle or oval changes size and moves all over the place. Does anyone know a way to fix this issue? I tried re-installing the app completely. Please let me know.

16. 16 Posted by Glutanimate on 25 Aug, 2016 10:29 AM

Hi David,

are you using macOS by any chance? If so, then this is a known issue. Image Occlusion has always had these sorts of problems under OS X. Sadly there's no workaround I know of.

17. 17 Posted by Glutanimate on 13 Oct, 2016 12:28 AM

With the release of IO Enhanced 1.0.0 drawing closer I've decided to move the discussion over to a new thread.

PS: Make sure to check out the latest beta release!

18. Glutanimate closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2016 12:28 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac