Add-on for new features: smart way to manage, generate and integrate with your classroom notebook in a top-down approach.

Andre

28 Mar, 2015 10:41 PM

Why some people don’t consider Anki very efficient? If we can either greatly decrease his time spent studying, or greatly increase the amount you learn, why some people don’t invest time creating cards? Why Anki is not widely use?

When I discovered Anki, I couldn’t even guess those questions. I started using Anki, and then I found some difficult. So, I read a lot of stuffs in internet, such Supermemo tips, and I improve my method of learning and studing, but some things still not OK. I realized that Anki is broadly use for learn languages. Even the name of the program came from Japanese vocabulary: Anki. A lot of Kanji add-on, features applicable almost just for vocabulary, etc…

So, how to make cards and notes more complex than: “knowledge (English) = connaissance (France).”? Sometimes I find myself lost in details, losing the context of information and spending a lot of time creating cards…
Then I take a time to think how to improve my method for learning and remembering and the way that Anki should deals with “fragilities”:
• Easy enter your cards;
• Manage knowledge easier;
• Keep the context and relationship between cards;
• Keep straight relationship with my personal notes from notebook;
• Easy create cards in a top-down approach;
• Save time in creating cards; and
• Automatic massive generated cards (may be applicable to you…).

I’ve written a document describing how we can achieve ride out these obstacles, with examples, graphics and a few requirements.

I would like to invite you to read this document (attached), and if you have program skill, please, help to implement it. If not, please, broadcast the idea.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by pguilford on 31 Mar, 2015 04:43 PM

I'm uncertain if your asking for code, or just proposing the idea. What you're proposing can easily be done with python & beautifulsoup (and probably without bs using standard python).

Take a look at this, it grabs html from a webpage and makes cards. it could be modified quickly to use a local file. it does not have a UI, but i plan on making one after i sit for boards. I will use your proposition for ideas regarding implementation.

2. 2 Posted by Andre on 31 Mar, 2015 10:47 PM

Dear pguilford,

I'm asking for code... I'm not a programmer... Thanks for your answer.

3. 3 Posted by pguilford on 01 Apr, 2015 03:10 PM

@Andre

Could you provide a typical .html document that you would hope to extract QA's from?

thanks.

4. 4 Posted by mada on 01 Apr, 2015 07:08 PM

"A topdown approach should always be used in our studied."
    it is your responsibility to create them in the proper order: top to down and study them in the added order or change the order later.

How to keep the context and relationship between cards?
    It is the very core Principe of flashcards to make them independents as much as possible.
    To keep the context, make sure to add it in the card. It is possible by many means: hard coded context, custom note type, tags, deck's name.
    See http://eastasiastudent.net/study/anki-structure

Aside that, I have not understand how your requested plugin should work because your expression in English is not clear at all.

Karil

5. 5 Posted by pguilford on 01 Apr, 2015 07:33 PM

My question is clear.

You want to import .html files into Anki, yes? I would like a sample .html file you would like to import. There are many factors to consider, one of which is building this addon to accommodate more than one type of html structure.

Here is a sample .html that shows the structure of Quizlets html. Can you generate something like this, or tell me what program you're using to export your notes to html format?

See section 5.5 in your proposal. I would like a sample from you.

6. 6 Posted by Andre on 02 Apr, 2015 01:18 PM

pguilford,

Sorry, but I couldn't answer before. I''m using microsoft Word 2010 to generate html files. A typical file is attached.
    The questions are always inside <em>. Only questions are inside <em>. The answer is the html file with link to that question. Today I'm inserting manually an id to each question, and using card model:
    "
    <script src="jquery-1.11.2.js"></script>
    <script>
      $(document).ready(function(){
          $('html, body').animate({ scrollTop: $('#a1').offset().top}, 500);
       });
    </script>
    "

Thanks

7. 7 Posted by Andre on 02 Apr, 2015 02:02 PM

Karil (mada),

I would like to make some comment to your answer based in http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm.

'"A topdown approach should always be used in our studied." It is your responsibility to create them in the proper order: top to down and study them in the added order or change the order later.'
    Yes, you are totally right! The major thing to get this top to down study is manually insert some details question after you already know the answer of the general/basic question. One feature that would the helpful to that is described in chapter 5 of “anki_Add_on_proposition.pdf”.
    I think we both are aware to rules #3 and #20.

'“How to keep the context and relationship between cards?” It is the very core Principe of flashcards to make them independents as much as possible.'

Yes, I agreed. But when you refer to “make them independents as much as possible”, I guess you are talking about rule # 4 (Stick to the minimum information principle – I would rephrase it to “atomic answer principle”).

'To keep the context, make sure to add it in the card. It is possible by many means: hard coded context, custom note type, tags, deck's name.' Ok, rules #16, 18 and 19.

'See http://eastasiastudent.net/study/anki-structure&#39; Great example. I start using Anki with android tablet. I took a time to discover it…

'Aside that, I have not understand how your requested plugin should work because your expression in English is not clear at all.' Sorry for my bad English. But, can you make specific question based on the attached file (anki_Add_on_proposition.pdf)? I think the screen in chapter 5.1 is very intuitive and there are requirement in chapter 5. If you make specif question, I will be able to clarify.

Thanks

8. 8 Posted by pguilford on 06 Apr, 2015 12:53 PM

@Andre

Is there more than one answer for each question in you HTML file? If you indent the answers below the question it could be easier to implement for your specific situation. It can still be done as is, but requires a little more finesse.

In the meantime I've begun the addon, its still in the beta phase, but you can find it here. Are you Brazilian? My wife is from Brazil.

9. 9 Posted by Andre on 08 Apr, 2015 11:33 PM

Hi Pguilford!
    Is there more than one answer for each question in you HTML file? If you indent the answers below the question it could be easier to implement for your specific situation. It can still be done as is, but requires a little more finesse.

1 question => 1 answer
    All answer are in the same Anki's field:
    1 question <\em> =>1 #anchor_answer
    In the card's model I've inserted this code:
    <script src="jquery-1.11.2.js"></script> <script> $(document).ready(function(){ $('html, body').animate({ scrollTop: $('#a1').offset().top}, 500); }); </script>

Yes. I'm brazilian too. Do you speak portuguese?

Great work! Very beautiful interface.

10. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac