Korean Support Add-On

scottgigante

30 Sep, 2018 02:29 PM

This is the support area for the Korean Support add-on.

1. 1 Posted by frannilea on 01 Dec, 2018 02:20 AM

Hi.

I've been using the Korean Support add-on quite successfully for the last month. However, the add-on has suddenly started pulling 0-byte audio files. I can easily replace them by getting up google translate and downloading the audio file from there, but it's time consuming and annoying to do so.

I only have about 600 cards spread across 4 decks, which I think is probably reasonably small. Is there some suggestion on how I can fix this? I have attached a sample 0-byte file for you. I have had to rename it to zip in in order to upload it here (the system wouldn't accept it otherwise). It was called "일곱 시 부터 여덟 시 까지 산책을 합니다_G_ko.mp3"

Thanks in advance.

2. 2 Posted by scottgigante on 01 Dec, 2018 04:28 AM

Hi @frannilea,

Thanks for alerting me to this. Looks like there was a change to the Google Text-to-Speech API which led to the problems you saw. If you update the add-on, it should be all working now. Please let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

Regards,
    Scott

3. 3 Posted by frannilea on 01 Dec, 2018 06:10 AM

Thank you! I've updated the add-on and tested it with two new cards. It's working now.

And that's so much for the quick response. :-)

Cheers!

4. 4 Posted by marco.bergsagel... on 29 Oct, 2019 11:18 PM

Hello
    I'm a little new to anki and even more new to using anki for korean. I saw this korean support plugin and it seemed like exactly what I was looking for, but when I installed it and tried to create a card under the 'Korean (basic)' type, I was only able to type Latin letters. On my computer I have a Korean keyboard installed which allows me to type Hangul, but this doesn't seem to work within anki. Am I doing something wrong or am I supposed to just copy and paste Korean text when creating cards?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks.

5. 5 Posted by scottgigante on 30 Oct, 2019 07:54 PM

Hi @marco,

No dumb questions, only dumb answers :) I've never had an issue typing Hangul into the cards. Can I ask you to try typing Hangul into a regular (basic/reversed) Anki card? If this problem only exists for the Korean Support deck then we can do some further investigation.

6. 6 Posted by marco.bergsagel... on 31 Oct, 2019 05:32 PM

Yeah I can't type Hangul into the regular cards either.

7. 7 Posted by scottgigante on 31 Oct, 2019 07:55 PM

Unfortunately this is beyond the scope of my knowledge. You may want to open a support request with Anki or with the provider of your keyboard app / operating system.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 31 Oct, 2019 10:25 PM

9. 9 Posted by Fran Smith on 30 Dec, 2019 10:01 PM

Hi. I've been using Anki with Korean Support for over a year now. But suddenly there's a problem I get an error message on loading. The previously entered cards still work fine. I tried adding a card and that seems to word and fetch the sound file too (although there was no Hanja to the test card I made - I'm not sure if this is important as there often isn't a Hanja). Please see picture attached of error message that appears on opening Anki. I have not changed or updated anything with Anki, so I'm confused as to how there can suddenly be an error message.

Love the add-on!
    Thanks!

10. 10 Posted by scottgigante on 31 Dec, 2019 03:39 AM

Hi @Fran Smith, I think this is because another of your addons has an update available and something weird is happening with my auto-update code. I've made the automatic updates more conservative in the latest version which you should be able to download now.

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you're enjoying Korean Support!
    Scott

11. 11 Posted by Fran Smith on 31 Dec, 2019 09:07 AM

Thanks Scott. I have several other add-ons, but none of them are offering an update and I haven't had any updates for some time. But the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks! :-) Is there any chance that we could possibly in the future have a choice between Google Translate and Papago? The Papago voice is a better voice - it sounds more real, less manufactured. Thanks again! It's a great add-on. My Korean would not be near as good without it! :-)

12. 12 Posted by scottgigante on 02 Jan, 2020 11:35 AM

Hi Fran, glad to hear it. I was thinking about adding NAVER TTS at some point anyway, so I've done my best to implement it. You can set it up by going to Tools -> Korean Support -> Set speech engine. It's quite a bit slower than Google but seems to work from what I can tell.

13. 13 Posted by Unlighted on 04 Feb, 2020 03:15 PM

Hello!

I tried using the addon, so I installed with the code, but I never really messed around deck types so I'm a bit lost. When I try to reach "Korean(Basic)" or whatever it doesn't display. What should I do?

14. 14 Posted by Unlighted on 04 Feb, 2020 04:02 PM

Update : I tried my best doing something that looks alright, but it does nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

15. 15 Posted by Unlighted on 04 Feb, 2020 04:03 PM

file upload*

16. 16 Posted by scottgigante on 11 Feb, 2020 01:24 AM

Hi @Unlighted, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Your card type looks good -- when you hit tab after entering the Korean, what happens?

17. 17 Posted by Unknown on 18 Mar, 2020 11:52 AM

Hi, I've just downloaded the Korean plug in but when I enter the korean word in and press tab, the english version and the sound doesn't appear. Am I missing something?

18. 18 Posted by scottgigante on 05 Apr, 2020 05:53 PM

@Unknown, sorry you're having trouble. Have you tried clicking on the Hangul button in the top right? It should be underlined if the plugin is enabled.

19. 19 Posted by Leslie on 19 Jul, 2020 11:20 PM

I'm very new to Anki, so please bare with me.

Are the English translations and Hanja supposed to autofill on their own? Only the audio and silhouette fill by themselves which is fine for my needs. Whether these fields need to be entered in manually or not is not clear. I just want to make sure that this addon is working correctly.

20. 20 Posted by frannilea on 20 Jul, 2020 12:58 AM

Hi Leslie.

I'm just a longer term user. I've been using it for about 18 months. The
    audio field should always fill (and you can choose either Google or Papago
    - Papago is better). For the other fields, Hanja depends on whether there
    is Hanja available, so it fills on some words and not others (depending
    upon whether the word is of Chinese origin also, of course), and the
    English translation field also fills sometimes. DON'T depend on the
    English translation field being correct. It doesn't come from Naver. I'm
    not sure where it comes from, but it's not really very accurate, it often
    has rarer definitions that may or may not be correct and is often even
    incorrect. It obviously comes from user content. I always edit this to
    suit my own understandings, wish is better anyway, and if I learn an
    additional meaning, I just edit the word meaning. Also I occasionally find
    that my initial understandings for a word change, so I often edit my
    meanings. Korean meanings are very fluidly different to English and don't
    necessarily (actually almost never) reflect a direct meaning of an English
    word. Your language words and definitions should come from your own
    learning and investigations, not just assumed from someone else's.

It's a great app! I love it!

Cheers!

21. 21 Posted by Leslie on 20 Jul, 2020 04:34 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I realized that Hanja does automatically add when I playing around with cards that it actually applied to. Also, totally makes sense about the English field.

Now that I know that this is working 100% correctly I can't wait to start studying. Thanks again!

22. 22 Posted by frannilea on 20 Jul, 2020 09:01 AM

Excellent. Another hint. Occasionally you get a bad audio file. These
    are easy to replace: just manually download a better one and overwrite the
    automatically downloaded audio file. Easy!

:-)

23. 23 Posted by Leslie on 20 Jul, 2020 09:33 PM

Thanks again. Hopefully this will be my last question. Is there a way to batch activate notes that this addon could apply to? I have Korean Support on, but when I try to import notes in bulk, I have to manually go in and hit tab in each note. I don't mind if I have to do this, but just wanted to see if there was an easier way.

24. 24 Posted by frannilea on 20 Jul, 2020 09:41 PM

I'm sorry. I've never imported cards. I've always made my own, so I have
    no idea. Perhaps the creator of the add-on could help you there.

Good luck! :-)

25. 25 Posted by Ngoc Han Lam on 01 Aug, 2020 04:02 PM

Hi Scottgigante, I've tried clicking on the top right Hangul button but
    nothing happens. I've also checked and saw that it was enabled in the tools
    tab.

26. Support Staff 26 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Aug, 2020 02:22 AM

Scott, would you mind moving this thread over to the new forum when you have a chance?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac