community convention idea

Guillem Palau-Salvà

14 Feb, 2020 12:39 PM

Hi Damien,

now that there is only 2.1 supported and the fact that add-ons shared page is getting updates in a daily basis, I think it would be nice to add a “community convention tab” or something in order to ensure add-on interoperability, conflicts and easiness to maintain them all together.

For instance:
• List of hotkeys used by addons, so a creator can avoid duplicating the same key binding (and OS specific even better).

o   If this could be added in-app via contextual menu to see what shortcuts are in the user computer added by currently installed add-ons.

• On text-rich add-ons, for example “enhance main window”, could be translated as the main app, having the strings such as (_(“some text added by add-on”). Some add-ons actually do so.

• Tag for monkey patching add-ons, so the user could know even before downloading the code that in fact the add-on is not only using hooks but relaying on monkey patching.

It is feasible to have those ideas community driven?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Feb, 2020 01:09 AM

Moving away from monkey patching is going to take a while, so it's too early to be thinking about tagging such add-ons yet. A hotkey registry might be nice in the future, but I'm afraid it's not at the top of the priority list at the moment.

2. 2 Posted by Guillem Palau-S... on 15 Feb, 2020 04:40 PM

Ok. Thank you for your consideration.

3. 3 Posted by Guillem Palau-S... on 15 Feb, 2020 04:48 PM

Btw, is there some sort of list of high priority stuff? I'd like to contribute. For the moment not in the source code.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Feb, 2020 09:37 PM

In terms of non-code contributions, your translation work is already appreciated :-) And answering questions here is also a help, as it means I can spend more time working on Anki's code.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac