Ankiweb, Anki Mobile and Anki desktop syncing glitch

jsaunders86

17 Jun, 2020 10:21 AM

This comment was split from the discussion: Ankiweb, Anki Mobile and Anki desktop syncing glitch

I'm having the same problem that Garrett was having. As of yesterday the desktop app and mobile (both my phone and ipad) are all different. The desktop is displaying the correct information as on ankiweb but yet the mobile devices are all different. I'm done the forced synce thing a few times but the mobile devices just will not (for some reason) sync properly to show what's on anki web and the desktop. I seriously have no idea what's going on.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Jun, 2020 10:24 AM

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Could I trouble you to attach some screenshots or a description of the differences between the two clients, so I can try to reproduce the issue here?

2. 2 Posted by jsaunders86 on 18 Jun, 2020 09:44 PM

yes absolutely. It's now been a few days and it still isn't working properly. I've deleted both mobile apps, restarted the phone, redownloaded mobile apps, signed back into ankiweb.....and yet, the mobile apps are still displaying wrong review count information. Also interesting, After I redownloaded the app (and before signing into ankiweb through the app) it was showing this extremely high review count in the "badge" on the app logo. Also, apart from the wrong review count, the mobile app takes forever to sync media after doing a routine sync. Just to humor myself I tried to sync my phone (even though I knew the review could be wrong) the media sync took 10min or longer each time. Anyway, it just feels buggy but I'm not sure. Also, I mainly use mobile so I would like to be able to use my mobile app again. Thanks for your help.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jun, 2020 12:25 AM

Your AnkiWeb account currently has different counts to that of your screenshot, so I presume you have done some studying since your post?

I grabbed a copy of your collection and placed it into a copy of Anki 2.1.25 without add-ons, and AnkiMobile 2.0.63. The counts matched on the two devices for me - so the question is why you are seeing something different.

Deleting and reinstalling the app will mean all of your (large) media collection needs to be downloaded again, which will take a long time. I don't recommend doing that again - a full sync should be functionality equivalent and take a lot less time.

Are you using any add-ons on your computer version?

4. 4 Posted by jsaunders86 on 19 Jun, 2020 12:56 AM

Yes I have done some studying since the last post.

and as far as it showing the same on your end, that's so strange. the mobile apps on my phone and ipad are still way off on my end though. It's weird that it just happened all of a sudden.

Also I use these desktop addons

advanced browser
    ankiconnect
    create filtered deck from the browser
    customize sidebar
    Hierarchical tags 2
    Japanese Support
    MIA Japanese
    Zoom 21

Anything else I should try?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jun, 2020 01:14 AM

You could start Anki while holding down shift to disable the add-ons, which will rule them out as the cause.

If problems persist after that, what happens if you force a sync in the opposite direction - uploading from AnkiMobile, then downloading on the computer?

6. 6 Posted by jsaunders86 on 21 Jun, 2020 12:21 AM

Ok I did the shift button thing to disable addons and that didn't seem to correct the problem. After that I tried uploading from the mobile app but interestingly, anki web and the desktop app didn't change. I really feel like there is something weird going on with anki mobile. I'm really not sure what to do.

7. 7 Posted by Erik on 21 Jun, 2020 12:03 PM

Hi. I am having a similar problem. I am not technical at all. I just installed anki onto my new iphone two days ago, but my phone would not sync with my macbook air. I tried several times to sync, but nothing changed until this morning, when finally my phone synced correctly with my laptop. I didn't do anything special. Just kept pressing sync on my phone. I have gone through 173 cards on my phone today and would now like to sync my laptop with the phone, but the laptop is still showing the same number of cards I started with this morning, despite going through 173 cards and pressing sync several times. I upgraded to 2.1.23, but I'm still having the same problem. I would like to be able to switch often between my phone and laptop. Hope there is something I can do to fix this. Thanks for your help. I absolutely love Anki!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Jun, 2020 01:35 AM

jsaunders: I've sent you along an invite to beta testing - please note that the current version is an alpha, so I recommend making frequent backups. Please let me know how you go with it.

Erik: please see my reply on your other post

9. 9 Posted by jsaunders86 on 22 Jun, 2020 11:26 PM

Thanks for the invitation! So I began using it thinking that it might solve the syncing issue but it didn't. I'm still experiencing a lot of weirdness with the mobile app. I'm not sure why it won't actually sync with the data in ankiweb. Is there a bug in the app? I basically can't use Anki mobile right now which makes things really tough because it's the main way I use Anki and has been ever since I started using it 3 years ago. I've used it every day since then.

My wife logged into my account on her phone thining that might be the issue but she was having the same issue where it wasn't showing was on the desktop or ankiweb.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Jun, 2020 01:06 AM

I presume you've checked in the preferences of both devices to make sure both of your devices are syncing to the same AnkiWeb account / email address?

You included a screenshot above, but it was only of one of your devices. How do the counts differ between the two systems? Is it as if one device is showing nothing studied for the day, or are the counts more subtly different? If you update to the latest stable computer version (2.1.26), does that change anything?

11. 11 Posted by jsaunders86 on 23 Jun, 2020 01:26 AM

yes, I checked preferences and both are syncing to the same account/email address.

good question on the counts, it's hard to tell but if I was to guess it seems more like mobile is showing nothing studied for the day.

I also updated the computer version to the latest (per advice) and nothing changed.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Jun, 2020 02:58 AM

Thanks for bearing with me Jeff. I've done some more investigating and it looks like a timezone issue - I can reproduce it when I set a phone here to the timezone you're in using a copy of your collection.

It appears you currently have the "next day starts at" setting in the preferences screen set to 23 (11pm), and AnkiMobile appears to be handling it differently in your timezone to the computer version. If you change the setting back to the default 4am, you'll find the counts on the computer version will increase to match AnkiMobile, as we're effectively moving forward a day.

This inconsistency appears to have already been fixed in the new timezone code, but I'll look into why AnkiMobile is not matching the desktop in this case when using the old scheduler.

Timezone handling changes

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Jun, 2020 03:57 AM

Ok, the root cause appears to be a bug introduced in the latest AnkiMobile, where if you had previously enabled the new scheduler and then switched back to the old one, the 'next day starts at' setting that you'd specified for the v2 scheduler was being used instead. Thanks for the report; a fix for this will be in the next update. I still recommend shifting your 'next day starts at' setting to 4am, but if you wish to keep it at 11pm, another way to work around the counts differing would be to switch to the v2 scheduler, then return to the preferences screen and set the cutoff to 23.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac