Feature request (willing to sponsor development)

agentydragon

20 Dec, 2019 08:48 PM

Hi! My name is Rai.
AnkiWeb is missing a couple of features. In particular, I would like to have:

• Editing raw field HTML (not just WYSIWYG)
  • Ctrl+Shift+C shortcut to create a Cloze

I'm a software developer and if AnkiWeb were open-source, I would be happy to contribute those features myself.
However, it's not :/

So I have a question mostly to Damien, or maybe someone else in case he's not the only person working on AnkiWeb:

• Would you be willing to add those features to AnkiWeb? Anki is valuable for me and I would be willing to pay for your time developing them.
  • In general, have you considered opening a Patreon or something similar? I don't have an iPhone, so I can't support Anki by buying the iOS app, but I would still be glad to chip in a bit.
  • I understand the decision to keep AnkiWeb closed-source, but it would be nice if the project had a bus factor greater than 1. If something were to happen to Damien, we would likely lose the AnkiWeb platform and updates to the iOS app. Are there any contingency plans for such scenarios?

Thank you, and have a nice day :)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 Dec, 2019 12:00 AM

Hi Rai,

Improvements to AnkiWeb are on the todo list, just not the highest priority at the moment I'm afraid. The two features you mentioned are things you could probably fairly easily implement in a browser extension for now.

If you're unable to purchase the iOS app, you can help me out by telling your friends about Anki.

AnkiWeb's backend is complicated enough that it is difficult to safely hand over in the event of my death, but I hope to improve this in the future.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac