Adding author information to AnkiWeb listings

Glutanimate

13 Nov, 2019 03:09 PM

Hey Damien,

As the list of Anki add-ons and decks keeps growing, I think it would be very helpful to add some more organizational features to the shared items pages.

One feature I have been missing for a while now is the ability to clearly communicate the authorship of shared items, especially for add-ons. Right now outside of add-on descriptions, there is no way for users to tell listings apart by their author. Nor is there any way for users to list all add-ons by a specific author. The main disadvantages to this are two-fold:

1. From a security standpoint it means that users have to trust whatever authorship details are provided in the add-on's description.
  2. From a usability standpoint it means that users have no easy means of checking out other add-ons/decks by their favorite creators

Taking other plugin stores as an example, the simplest way I could see this work would be as follows:

• Have an optional setting in the AnkiWeb account options that would allow deck creators & add-on authors to set a unique username
  • If the username is set, display the configured name as a simple link below the add-on title, e.g.:

<addon_name>

by <author_name>

<10kB. Updated ....

• Have the link point to a simple shareable listing of all add-ons by that author (in a similar fashion to how the tagging system works for shared decks, e.g. https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/geography)

• If the username is unset, retain the current UI. I would imagine that some users prefer to upload their shared works "anonymously", so I think it would make sense to not make the username a requirement.

Thanks for considering this!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 10:30 PM

I think a simple solution that would get us most of the way there is to just add a link to view all other shared items by a user.

2. 2 Posted by Glutanimate on 14 Nov, 2019 11:09 AM

Sounds good to me!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac