Ankiweb, Anki Mobile and Anki desktop syncing glitch

garrett

26 Oct, 2019 11:10 PM

Hello !

First of all, thank you for Anki. I've been using it daily for months now and its possibilities are endless. It's been incredibly helpful.

Just this weekend, however, my devices (Macbook air and iphone, both running your apps) are not talking to each other somehow. What I mean is this : at different points today, each had a different count for "number of reviews" left in one of my decks. This is absolutely perplexing to me, as syncing my phone to AnkiWeb should automatically make them identical, the same with Anki Desktop, but ever after two "successful" syncs, they all can show different numbers. I uninstalled and reinstalled each of the apps, I made sure I wasn't using an alternative profile, and I even forced downloads from AnkiWeb to each after the reinstallations. I really don't know what else to do, and it would be really nice if they all worked together again.

I'm open to any suggestions, further questions.

Thank you for your time in reading this !

1. 1 Posted by garrett on 26 Oct, 2019 11:27 PM

Just a quick update that may or may not be helpful to anyone reading this post, trying to help out : even though the number of reviews remaining for the day remains mysterious to me - with, for example, 51 displaying on the desktop, 45 on AnkiWeb and 50 on my mobile, the syncs I perform ARE registered - I know this because of the total cards studied in total minutes line on the bottom of the deck page on the desktop version. For example, if I go on my phone, review a card, sync to AnkiWeb, get on my desktop, sync to AnkiWeb, my ticker will go up : from "335 to 336 cards studied in 108 minutes today", for example. What is weird, though, is that the review card count on the desktop should also go down with the review card count on the phone, right ? At least I know that all of my work in the meantime is being recorded, which is a consolation. Thank you, again, for reading !

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 26 Oct, 2019 11:32 PM

If you make changes on multiple devices without syncing, it is possible for the 'studied today' count to fall out of sync. But if that has happened, forcing a one way upload on one device and then downloading on the other device should bring all platforms back into sync - could you try that again? If the problem persists after that, please let me know which deck the issue appears with and I'll try reproduce the problem using a copy of your collection.

3. 3 Posted by garrett on 26 Oct, 2019 11:45 PM

Hello ! Thank you for the response. I did do the one way upload, one way download again and, for a moment, it did bring them back into sync. But then after studying one card on the desktop, syncing to the Web, syncing from the Web onto the phone created the same issue : now all three platforms are different again.

The issue is appearing with the second deck in my list, أفعال.

4. 4 Posted by garrett on 26 Oct, 2019 11:51 PM

Another possible clue : If I review a card on the desktop, it doesn't affect my Mobile's count, but if I review a card on the Mobile, it mysteriously *adds* 1 to the desktop's count. But not every time.

(and each of these events with syncs in between)

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 26 Oct, 2019 11:52 PM

Please let me know what counts you see on each of the computer, web and iPhone clients for that deck, and avoid syncing again until I get back to you.

Also I assume you don't have any add-ons installed? If you do, please start Anki while holding down the shift key to disable them, repeat the full sync, and then try to reproduce the problem again.

6. 6 Posted by garrett on 27 Oct, 2019 12:01 AM

Because I do have a couple of add-ons (font size, keyboard shortcuts, empty/rebuild all), I restarted the desktop with shift, did a full upload from mobile and then full download onto desktop.

Counts were even : 47 mobile, 47 desktop.
    Reviewed one card (Good) on the mobile : 46 mobile
    Synced mobile
    Synced desktop
    Counts : 46 mobile, 52 desktop (!?)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Oct, 2019 01:07 AM

This looks like a bug in the way AnkiWeb is handling your timezone. Thanks for the report, I'll look into this. In the mean time, you can resume syncing - it's only the daily counts that are being reset, and your progress should be syncing correctly.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Oct, 2019 02:32 AM

Could you give it another try now? I've made a minor change, and can't seem to reproduce the problem anymore.

9. 9 Posted by garrett on 27 Oct, 2019 07:54 AM

Damien, thank you for your patience - the time zone idea makes a lot of sense, as I had switched from Paris time to London time, using both of my devices. (And hence the reason for my late reply now - I went to bed - sorry for the inconvenience).

And indeed this morning when I synced the two, my Anki phone app prompted me to ensure I was in the right time zone (which I wasn't - I had switched my phone to "manual" time changing), and this morning was daylight savings in England, we "fell back" an hour. I enabled automatic time shift on my phone (which I will leave as such) and now I am in the proper time zone.

That being said, I think due to this latest time change, again the sync is not working properly in the same deck. After getting on the correct time zone, I forced a full sync two ways, and the problem persists - but again only with the آفعال deck, the other deck works perfectly.

Thank you for your patience with this new (albeit hopefully smaller, now that the root cause of it all seems recognizable) chapter of the problem.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Oct, 2019 10:42 PM

Please visit AnkiWeb and review a card - it will pick up your updated timezone and store it in your collection. If you then download to both devices, that should stop them disagreeing on how many days have passed.

11. 11 Posted by garrett on 29 Oct, 2019 02:56 PM

Damien, please excuse my delay on this latest response, especially given your keen attentiveness. Success. We're back to normal syncing. THANK YOU. :)

12. 12 Posted by jsaunders86 on 17 Jun, 2020 01:56 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Ankiweb, Anki Mobile and Anki desktop syncing glitch

I'm having the same problem that Garrett was having. As of yesterday the desktop app and mobile (both my phone and ipad) are all different. The desktop is displaying the correct information as on ankiweb but yet the mobile devices are all different. I'm done the forced synce thing a few times but the mobile devices just will not (for some reason) sync properly to show what's on anki web and the desktop. I seriously have no idea what's going on.

13. 13 Posted by Erik on 21 Jun, 2020 12:33 PM

Hi. After doing some more research, I made a forced upload from my iphone to ankiweb and the changes went through. I tried syncing my anki desktop simply by pressing on the sync icon, but that didn't work. So, I did a forced oneway download sync from ankiweb and that worked. Now, my iphone and macbook air are synced correctly. If it happens again, I know how to sync all three, but it does seem a bit cumbersome. No big deal for me, now that I know how to fix it. Anki is absolutely incredible! Appreciate all you have done to create this app.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Jun, 2020 01:34 AM

Glad to hear you've been able to resolve it for now Erik. There are some changes to syncing coming in the next update, so there's a good chance the issue you're experiencing has already been resolved.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac