multi-cloze: type answer in Japanese should not need a comma separator

nomnex

05 May, 2013 04:58 AM

Direct posts to the issue tracker are being phased out. Please use the support sites linked above instead.

The triage occurs here now?

It should have been an enhancement, but since the comma is not recognized, this looks like a minor "bug".

the current way to separate multiple answers in Cloze card with "type the answer" is a comma. That's a problem when we use Japanese (and probably any other other non-Latin languages), because we have to switch to Latin after the first input, input the comma, switch back to the foreign language, input the second reply, etc.

I tried with a space, see: empty space separator.png attached
Then I tried with a Latin comma, and switch back to Japanese input; the comma is not recognized, see: comma separator.png attached

1. 1 Posted by nomnex on 06 May, 2013 05:40 AM

Edit: it works
    1. enter a Japanese character (first answer)
    2. switch to Latin
    3. input a comma
    4. input a space
    5. switch back to Japanese input
    6. input the second answer

I was switching language input directly after the comma on the print-scree above.

still, if it is possible, it would nice if the switching language back and forth could be simplified on multiple cloze deletion cards, with type the answer.

2. 2 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 06 May, 2013 11:27 AM

I'm not familiar with Japanese input at all, but is it possible to keep a
    Latin comma on the clipboard and paste it when you need one?

3. 3 Posted by nomnex on 06 May, 2013 02:15 PM

as an immediate workaround that's an excellent suggestion, as long as I am the only one to use the deck. I don't try with another scripting language but couldn't the comma separator use the encoding of the language in use?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 May, 2013 05:07 AM

Yes, please post bug reports rather than on Lighthouse.

Anki tries to avoid language-specific features, as it's impossible for me to be an expert on all the different languages out there. If you're typing in the answers, wouldn't it be easier to split those multiple answers into separate cards anyway?

5. 5 Posted by nomnex on 10 May, 2013 01:59 AM

I understand. in this case I should probably change anki GUI to Japanese if I wanted to type multiple answers.

it's probably a better solution to recite orally the 2 missing kana among a series of 5, else I could split them in series of 3.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 10 May, 2013 05:42 AM

Changing the interface language won't help, as the splitting function expects a single byte space. But yes, reciting orally does sound like a good solution :-)

7. nomnex closed this discussion on 10 May, 2013 05:58 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac