External searches on selected text from cards

Craig

29 Apr, 2013 11:35 AM

Hi,
I find etymologies very helpful for learning languages, and would like to be able to include a function in my cards to search a specified etymology site for a selected word (only the selected word and not the whole field content – etymologies usually don’t include in/definite articles, etc.).

I have found the following on external links (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/ankisrs/80Sm8ec...
-- not that I really understand it!), but it doesn’t cover the aspect of searching with external site on the selected term. My main interface with Anki is via Ankidroid on phone and tablet, so the text in question is what is selected by touching the screen (should that make any difference to the code...)

Any help in the necessary code would be helpful.

Craig

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 29 Apr, 2013 08:03 PM

That guide is for including an external link to a fixed destination for each card—it will search for the text located in one of the fields on that card. If you want to be able to look up arbitrary words on a card by selecting them, you'll need to contact the AnkiDroid developers and see if they have a function that does this or can add it.

2. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 17 May, 2013 06:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac