Bug report

james.scerbo

28 Apr, 2013 10:20 PM

Dear Anki:

I am a big fan of your product and purchased the iPhone app last year in the app store. Best $15-$20 I ever spent.

I am copying an email I just sent to the add-onn programmer of ImageOcc2.0. However, I maybe should have sent it to Anki first b/c after restoring decks from this morning that had no errors, I cannot get the error to stop. Even when I go back 5-8 decks.

Here is the original text:

Dear Sir/Madam:

I downloaded your software about 6 days ago. I have Windows Vista, all up to date. I have Anki desktop, all up to date.

I have an urgent need for help b/c I am taking a major exam in 25 days.

The add-on was working fine for 5 days and through this very moment. I have used it for 2 other pictures for graphic occlusion.

But the most recent one I did gave me a ton of errors and it is now blocking my ability to add to or study my deck b/c when an image comes up from the latest graphic occlusion (which generated 20 cards), the dialogue box forces me to hit Esc 20-30 times to get out of the deck.

I followed your recommendation on the website to Check the Database. I get a pop-up that says the decks are fine. I have cleared Media, and emptied the Cards. I did full syncs. But I cannot fix it.

Also, I do not mind just deleting the notes/cards associated with this and starting over. But the Browser will not even let me do anything: as soon as it finds the error that dialogue box blocks my ability to delete the notes/cards.

I am studying for the Series 7 Securities License exam and I take it in 25 days. I really need to get this card out of my decks b/c it is literally blocking all of my studying (I only use the book and make cards from the texbook.)

Thank you for your assistance.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 84, in data File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 204, in columnData File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 262, in answer File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 254, in question File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.cards", line 126, in q File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.cards", line 143, in _getQA File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.collection", line 483, in _renderQA IndexError: list index out of range
File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 84, in data File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 204, in columnData File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 262, in answer File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/aqt.browser", line 254, in question File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.cards", line 126, in q File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.cards", line 143, in _getQA File "C:\cygwin\home\dae\win\build\pyi.win32\anki\outPYZ1.pyz/anki.collection", line 483, in _renderQA IndexError: list index out of range

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 28 Apr, 2013 10:22 PM

Have you tried doing a database check from Tools → Maintenance?

2. 2 Posted by james.scerbo on 28 Apr, 2013 10:52 PM

Dear Soren:

Yes, I did. I followed the instruction from the error report which was to first try to check the database.

What else should I try?

Separately, is it possible to just export all notes or cards to a txt file and re-create a new collection? It is really only one deck with about 500 cards (all made in the last 6 days).

James

3. 3 Posted by james.scerbo on 29 Apr, 2013 12:13 AM

Dear Soren:

I was able to determine that the problem here is the latest 4/23/13 image occlusion add-on.

What I did to solve it is remove the add-on. That did not work at first.

I then created a filtered deck with the last card added, which was an occlusion card. I had to hit Esc about 30-40 times to get just a plain, blank card in the Learning screen. Once I got that I went to the lower right corner, and on the "More" button, chose "Delete Note."

Once I deleted that Note, all Collection problems disappeared.

I have tried to create more occlusion notes/cards but none work. They all get errors like the bug report I posted for you.

The odd thing is that I have about 30-40 occlusion cards from the past few days that work completely fine. And then continue to work without the add-in being installed.

This is a huge bummer b/c this was the most amazing add-on and the only one that did this task so efficiently.

Given this doesn't work, how do people created image occlusion cards in Anki?

Thank you for all your assistance.

James

4. 4 Posted by james.scerbo on 29 Apr, 2013 12:37 AM

Dear Soren:

I just wanted to let you know I posted a link to this Discussion on the Google Group's discussion about Image Occlusion.

Here is the link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/anki-addons/xibqDVFqQwQ

Thank you.
    James

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 29 Apr, 2013 01:04 AM

I have not heard of this problem with the add-on before, and many people
    are using it without difficulty, so your best course of action is indeed to
    post there and see if you can work it out through there.

6. 6 Posted by james.scerbo on 02 May, 2013 03:08 PM

Dear Soren:

I thought maybe you might want to close this ticket b/c Damien has responded to #823 that is dealing with the same issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
    James Scerbo

7. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 02 May, 2013 04:14 PM.

8. Soren Bjornstad re-opened this discussion on 02 May, 2013 07:57 PM

9. 7 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 02 May, 2013 07:57 PM

This is #823?

I'll keep it closed, though, assuming it's right.

10. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 02 May, 2013 07:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac