Copy decks

Sam Austell

28 Apr, 2013 12:52 AM

This is a question that is probably so simple as to be embarrassing but I can't find how to do it in the manual. I use Anki to learn Spanish words. I make a deck with several hundred words and begin studying. I study the deck only one way say question is English and answer is Spanish. After a while I want to copy the deck, rename it and flip the question and answer. I know you can do this within a deck but I want each direction to have its own history of success and failure. I did this before but under the old version and I can't figure out how to do it now. Just copying in Windows doesn't seem to do it. Anki does not recognize the new deck. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks for great work,
Sam Austell

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 28 Apr, 2013 03:22 AM

It's not your fault—it is significantly different and slightly more complex
    to set up now. Have a look at this section:
    http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#reverse-cards

There's a video linked there if it helps.

2. 2 Posted by Sam Austell on 28 Apr, 2013 08:01 PM

Thank you for your reply. You guys are great. It was very interesting to follow the video. I don't think it quiet gets me to where I want to be though. I really want two separate decks that move through the learning independently. I may have mastered the English to Spanish direction on a given word but fail the Spanish to English direction. It is better that the two directions for a word NOT arrive close together. Also I usually review a different number of cards each day for the two directions: more on the new direction and less on the old direction. And the history of success and failure embedded in each card is important. So can I take a deck and copy the whole thing as a new deck, rename it, and then study it independently of the original deck? By the way I love this program. Love it. Love it. I have 500 words in one deck that was made into two decks under the old Anki version. One goes forward and the other reverse. I have a second deck of 250 words that is going only one direction. I have sufficiently mastered it that I want to copy it to go in the reverse direction as well. I don't want to give up the ability to view it in the original direction with the original history embedded. Is there a solution? Thanks, Sam Austell

3. 3 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 28 Apr, 2013 09:22 PM

If you want a separate deck, you can turn on the "deck override" option in
    the More menu for one of the tabs. Then, you can use the Change Deck button
    in the browser to move the cards that are already in the wrong deck.

4. 4 Posted by Sam Austell on 03 May, 2013 02:04 AM

Where is the More menu mentioned above?

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 03 May, 2013 02:38 AM

It's at the bottom of the Cards... dialog.

6. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 17 May, 2013 06:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac