Possible to ask about a value found in multiple notes?

Christopher

27 Apr, 2013 05:51 PM

This may be useful for many subjects, but I'm trying to learn Anki for anatomy right now. Say I have notes for individual muscles and one field is location (eg leg). Is there an easy way for me to use my notes in this format to ask for all muscles where location = leg?

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 27 Apr, 2013 07:37 PM

No, if you want that you'll need to create a card for that. (To me that
    sounds like it probably isn't the best idea anyway in terms of formulating
    your cards—that would be a lot of answers to have to provide for one card.)

2. 2 Posted by Christopher on 27 Apr, 2013 09:04 PM

I thought so. For my purposes, certain lists are higher yield and this sort of function might have made things a little easier. The other option I have is to find a way to manipulate the info in a spreadsheet but I haven't worked it out completely yet.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 28 Apr, 2013 06:47 AM

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for, but if the goal is simply to review cards for notes with a particular field value, you can create a filtered deck with the search term 'muscle:leg'

4. 4 Posted by Aleksej on 28 Apr, 2013 11:10 AM

Maybe you mean something like what this add-on claims to attempt to solve, although, according to the description, does not: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/865767531 (disclaimer: I haven't installed it, so I cannot say that the add-on is real and not malicious).

For Damien's guess, here is Wozniak's 2010 comment on the problem: http://www.supermemo.com/help/faq/ks.htm#33776-5163 That and other pages there contain other advice on dealing with (avoiding and converting) sets and enumerations.

5. 5 Posted by Christopher on 30 Apr, 2013 02:54 AM

Thanks for the ideas. The Show Duplicates looks like what I need! The known issues might be a little bothersome, but it's worth a try.

I didn't understand the description of it at first, so I tried to clarify my goal with an example. I'll leave it here for the record:

Example: I have 5 notes, each with a muscle name and various properties (insertion, origin, action, innervation, etc). I use templates for single questions in the forward direction such as "What is the {{insertion}} of {{muscle}}?" But it is also useful to ask questions in the reverse direction, such as "What muscles insert at {{insertion}}?" Since several muscles can have the same insertion (or innervation, action, etc), I can't simply tell Anki to go in the reverse direction because there's not enough context to know which of those several muscles are being used to generate the card. Further, it is important for me in particular to be able to list all muscles for which it is true. An example question would be "Which muscles would be affected by damage to {{innervation}}?".

6. 6 Posted by itraveller on 30 Apr, 2013 11:59 AM

Hi Christopher,

The ability to automatically create such cards (with elements scattered in different notes), as already said Soren, is missing. And Damien explained how you can quickly get the information to manually create these cards.

If you have some familiarity with programming you can try to create an appropriate 'parser' to create output text (for imports) from corresponding input text (from exports). A simple example of such script I attached to the message.

The script was tested by Pithon 3.3.1 at Windows 7.

Good luck!

7. 7 Posted by itraveller on 02 May, 2013 09:55 AM

That's decided to complete the proposed sketch to complete tool.
    Of course Aleksej is right in saying about SRS principles, but these cards can be useful in and of themselves (eg for thematic reviews).
    I hope the result will be useful.

8. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 17 May, 2013 06:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac