Guide for folks converting to 2.0 from earlier versions of Anki, please

Arlie

22 Apr, 2013 04:30 AM

The subject says it. I just typed a long list of questions about functionality that's no longer available. Then my computer ate it ;-)

At the moment, the inability to delete a card - not a NOTE, just one card from a note - is the biggest problem, because the only workaround I have is to suspend it, which is going to create major confusion.

But what I need is an orientation guide not for new users, but for old users with converted decks, particularly users who had created a lot of their own card types, and had multiple decks, each with its own card types (they couldn't be shared before) now coping with massive confusion because they always see types from all decks, and have to explicitly put deck:current in all queries to get the old browse behavior. (It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that workaround :-()

I don't want to start over with new decks yet again - I already had to do that when I converted to Anki in the first place, because of the concept of a "fact" with multiple "cards". (And by the way, is "note" the new term for "fact"? "note" used to mean something different...

1. 1 Posted by Arlie on 22 Apr, 2013 04:55 AM

I found http://ankisrs.net/docs/changes.html#v2 which I now remember reading when I accepted the prompts to upgrade. Some of the things I already figured out about the new templates are there. Even the misfeature with individual card deletion ;-) I wish I'd read more attentively when I converted, since I believe that feature is a show stopper for me.

I've just downloaded the source code, as I fear that what I need to do now is extract my information, complete with history, into some kind of format I can edit effectively - then rework all my templates/types/paradigms. sigh

Or start all over with a brand new deck.

Or find my old decks, pre-conversion, and a copy of the old program. And then re-add any cards I've added since.

A pity, since I like the new algorithms better. But the way I used templates before isn't compatible with non-deletion of individual cards.

2. 2 Posted by Arlie on 22 Apr, 2013 04:58 AM

Hmm - and now I see a workaround for the non-deletion.

Now I just need a workaround for it dumping templates from all decks together, and a more convenient workaround for including all decks in browse unless you explictly specify deck:current on every single query.

3. 3 Posted by Arlie on 22 Apr, 2013 05:07 AM

You really should include the information I linked in the FAQ, or somewhere else where people will find it.

You might also want to make it a bit easier to find the source code - it was buried in downloads for linux.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the deletion workaround given on that page will work for me. I need to either manually add fields that control presence of each card to any paradigm that didn't happen to have any deleted cards at conversion, and then fill them in for all the pre-existing card. (Ugh!) Or I need to have a new paradigm for each potential missing card case.

I wish I could see a way this browse screen would make this remotely feasible. I'm really not eager to figure out your code/data formats well enough to write my own batch modification tool(s).

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Apr, 2013 10:32 AM

As you've pointed out, the guide is presented automatically during the upgrade. As for your issue with deletion, if you can't make the current system work for you and don't want to suspend cards as a workaround, you can always revert to a previous version.

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 22 Apr, 2013 10:37 PM

You really should include the information I linked in the FAQ

Pretty soon everyone will be done with upgrading, and that won't be important information to have in the manual anymore, so any upgrade-related information is confined to the changelog.

You might also want to make it a bit easier to find the source code - it was buried in downloads for linux.

It used to be easier to find before that section was tabbed—perhaps it could be added to "other" as well.

6. 6 Posted by Arlie on 24 Apr, 2013 05:13 PM

Pretty soon everyone will be done with upgrading, and that won't be important information to have in the manual anymore, so any upgrade-related information is confined to the changelog.<.cite>

There will always be a few people like me, coming back to anki from a longish absence of not studying anything. And like me, they will probably be in study mode when they first return, and only really notice the implication of the changes when they try to create new cards. I don't see why it's necessary to make the information this hard to find, at the point when it's actually needed.

But it's your product. I'm quite aware that if I don't like it, my choices are to either find a better alternative, or create it myself, possibly by forking your code. After all the "fun" I've had with SuperMemo and now Anki, I half wish I'd done that in the first place, or stuck with paper flash cards. I wouldn't have some of the useful features both apps have, since I didn't have more than an intuitive awareness of spaced repetition. But I might not be in my current state of chronic demotivation ;-) (Nothing like starting from zero with words you already know, twice, to reduce motivation ;-) But I apologize for taking that frustration out on you, just because I feared I'd be doing it again.

7. 7 Posted by Anki User on 24 Apr, 2013 05:52 PM

@Arlie I am also quite frustrated about Anki 2. It may be faster, but it's in many aspects a big step backwards: sibling handling does't work, stopping the creation of certain cards is awfully complex, and more. The GUI is far from easy to understand, especially for newcomers, and Anki 2 is still buggy. I still don't understand why Damien made these design decisions. I am disappointed.

8. 8 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 24 Apr, 2013 08:45 PM

The GUI is far from easy to understand, especially for newcomers

Please keep in mind that you are not a newcomer—you have upgraded, and you're coming from a different perspective than truly new users. I have seen almost no complaints about the interface being non-intuitive from new users as compared to those who have upgraded.

And I'm sorry you aren't happy with the way it's turned out, but the majority of users have been happy with it, and the decisions were made with the feedback of many current users of the software.

9. 9 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 17 May, 2013 06:02 PM

closing due to inactivity

10. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 17 May, 2013 06:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac