Anki manual

nomnex

17 Apr, 2013 11:56 PM

Congratulation for the new Anki manual layout!
A useful TOC at last.
Could you provide a PDF version with a TOC for off-line reading? The actual text file doesn't make navigation easy. Thanks if you do.

1. 1 Posted by nomnex on 18 Apr, 2013 12:06 AM

One error, and one old term I found, when I read the doc.

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-templates

It then looks in the FieldName field for all cloze references, like {{c1:text}}.

should be {{c1::text}}

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#column-templates

"Column Templates" does not exist anymore, it's now "Browser appearance"

2. 2 Posted by nomnex on 18 Apr, 2013 12:47 AM

Unfortunately I have a problem with the CSS of the new layout.

My screen is 1050x1400, 15'. It makes everything very tinny. I set my browser (FF) font to 16 pt., to be able to read the content. These values are outside the max values. of the Anki CSS.

Currently, the manual does not display correctly. I attached a print-screen

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Apr, 2013 02:58 AM

The manual is already 16px, so you shouldn't need to force it. The overlap is because you're forcing the TOC to be bigger than is expected. If you want to keep your font override global, you could add a rule to move the toc over a bit to the left.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Apr, 2013 02:59 AM

Thanks for spotting those errors; I've updated the manual.

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 18 Apr, 2013 03:01 AM

One other thing—is it possible to keep the navbar at the top of the screen
    when scrolling down? It looks kind of funny to me that there's no title
    when there's a large static frame off to the left, and it makes it
    difficult to navigate anywhere else after reading the page.

6. 6 Posted by nomnex on 18 Apr, 2013 10:07 AM

The manual is 16px, but it renders as a 8~10px on my screen. I have to use the browser setting: "set minimum font size" set to 16pt. To have something readable.

It's maybe my eyes, but a high definition screen on a small form factor makes the text hard to read. To counter it, I increase the font size of the various component (desktop, browser, applications).

I usually don't have problem with most of the web pages I browse (Wikipedia, forums) using these settings, but with some blogs using preset templates.

May I kindly ask you if it is possible to modify the CSS of the TOC a bit, to accommodate a larger font display of the body text? I don't know how to "set a CSS rule" to move the TOC on the left, as per your recommendation.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 Apr, 2013 04:50 AM

Soren: I had some difficulty getting that to work reliably at difference screen sizes, but it would be nice to look into again at one point.

Nomnex: Sorry, I misread your earlier mention of 16pt as 16px, when they are not the same thing. I'm not sure what the best solution is to your problem however, as the sizing of the columns are relative to the font size, so if you use the browser's zoom in/zoom out instead of forcing a particular font size, you should see that nothing overlaps.

8. 8 Posted by nomnex on 22 Apr, 2013 01:41 AM

I am hesitant because I am stuck with this 4:3 1400x1050 15' notebook and it has always been a problem somehow.

I would like to know if it's not a custom practice for people with poor eyesight to force a larger font point?

My eyesight is fine, but I do the above, because at the default size, my screen resolution renders text as 8pt (point) comparatively to a 1024x786 4:3 LCD panel.

Usually, most of the pages accommodate to such large font point size. Anki page does not, and I browse it quite frequently.

It is difficult to set a max width of the TOC column, and to have a horizontal scroll bar if the limit is reached? I don't know if, and how it is feasible to avoid columns to overlap. As you say, the sizing of the columns are relative to the font size, and currently, increasing the font size breaks the layout.

The zoom if not an option because then I have to zoom on every page I browse.

As workaround, I created an additional Firefox profile to browse the Anki manual (smaller font size & +zoom). Using two profiles prevents opening links directly in the browser, from my email client.

I can live with that, but that's maybe a good idea to accommodate the CSS, in the event a browser uses a custom font size.

But as I say, I don't want to be a bother, because I know this is a little particular.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Apr, 2013 10:04 AM

I've added it to the todo to look into.

10. 10 Posted by nomnex on 22 Apr, 2013 10:39 AM

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 06:04:30 -0400
    > "Damien Elmes" <tender2
    > [email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    Thank you. That's nice of you.

11. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 22 Apr, 2013 10:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac