importing/updating a deck

MS

17 Apr, 2013 04:25 PM

Background/Issue:
I bought a private deck (titled "deck #1" that has 1000 cards) a few months ago and since then, I added some stuff to these flashcards. A new updated deck came out today (titled "deck #1a" with 1500 cards) and I would like to update my deck #1 with deck#1a (Deck 1a's update consists of 500 new cards as well as additional information and edits on the previous existing 1000 cards on Deck#1).

Goals:
1. I would like Anki to update my previous deck with the new 500 cards that came with deck #1a.
2. I would like Anki to update my previous deck with the new additional edit/information/update that were made to the previously downloaded 1000 cards (all the while also keeping the information I added to the deck when I first purchased it).

Attempts and Results:
1. imported deck #1a:
when imported, Anki automatically sensed that I already had 1000 cards on deck1 that were similar to deck #1a so it only downloaded 500 additional cards. this did NOT update the other 1000 cards. 2. user manual:
"Deck Package - If some cards have previously been imported, they will not be modified: deck packages only add new items."

Solution?
Is there a way that I can have deck1a just update the previously owned cards without having to manually cross-reference the information on each card and then subsequently copying and pasting? The user manual hints that this cannot be done but there are also no solutions listed.
If this is NOT feasible, at the VERY least, I would like to override Anki and download all 1500 cards from deck1a-- even if it means making duplicates.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated it!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Apr, 2013 03:25 AM

It depends on whether the deck author constructed the updated deck by updating their old one or by creating a new one, importing from a spreadsheet. Since they are providing the deck for a fee, the onus is really on them to give you advice here.

Assuming the former, you can import the new deck and Anki will only pull in the cards that weren't there before. There's no easy way to update the other cards at the moment; you can import the new deck into a separate profile, export it to a text file, then import that into the first profile and it will update any entries with a matching first field, but if the first field has changed Anki will assume it's a new entry.

2. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 01:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac