Syncing

haplology

17 Apr, 2013 01:49 PM

I finally upgraded to the new Anki 2 and so far I'm really regretting it. I needed to do it 'cause I lost syncing when the old one was taken down, but I'm having nothing but problems.

I started with a clean install of Anki on the iPhone - I deleted the old one because it had about 500MB of files that didn't seem to show up in decks but I couldn't remove. I did a full sync of all my decks and media from the upgraded Anki 2 on the Mac - approximately 300MB total. I then sync'ed the iPhone version. (some hiccups of interrupted downloads, etc - but worked eventually).

All seems okay, but now every time I try to sync from the iPhone version, it's uploading (or stranger still, downloading) 10mb, 20mb, etc. I haven't changed media files at all - just maybe 20-30 reviews on the iPhone, hit sync - then wait for 20 minutes. Before, sync'ing was practically instantaneous even over cell.

Also, it seems to sync all my mobile decks every time I hit sync. It's not really an issue if it's fast, but it seems to be sync'ing decks that haven't changed at all - so not sure if I can disable that or track down what's happening.

Any ideas? Just searched but can't find on here.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Apr, 2013 02:27 AM

Until all the media is synced, Anki will pick up where it left off on the next sync. Once all the media has been marked as synced, it will only send added/deleted files after that. If you turn off media syncing in the options temporarily you should see that the collection sync is quite rapid.

2. 2 Posted by haplology on 19 Apr, 2013 03:38 AM

okay, it does seem to be working better. will try it for a few more days. I think it hadn't fully sync'ed media each time, but it didn't really show progress / completion level so I thought it was done (since it had done over 200mb).

now just trying to get used to different formatting. before when I added cards to a deck, it used the card format I'd created. now it seems to keep using a default format, not the format the rest of the deck uses. will have to go through docs again to try to figure out - kind of confusing. (some of the changes are great and functional, but I would say the interface isn't as user friendly in certain areas).

3. 3 Posted by haplology on 20 Apr, 2013 04:07 AM

Is it possible to change a card template after adding the card? I'm kinda pulling out my hair here. Also, when I add a card, I don't get the choice of the template that the other 1000+ cards in the deck was created with. How do I change all this - been reading through the documentation but it's volumes and volumes worth. tried searching and can't find it.

4. 4 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 20 Apr, 2013 02:10 PM

Is it possible to change a card template after adding the card?

If I understand correctly what you're asking here, you can use Edit → Change Note Type.

Also, when I add a card, I don't get the choice of the template

You don't choose templates when you add cards, you choose note types. The note type must be in the deck somewhere if you have cards that are using it, so perhaps it is named something different than you think?

5. 5 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 29 Apr, 2013 01:10 AM

If you have more questions, feel free to reopen this thread.

6. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 01:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac