Reviewing large backlog and 'shortest interval'

whiteo

08 Apr, 2013 10:09 AM

Hello there,

I have returned to Anki 2 after a few months' absence, and have ~2000 vocab reviews to get through. This means I have forgotten quite a lot of notes, and often have to press (1). Because most of the notes are due prior to now, this means that most of those cards I have reviewed since restarting have gone to the back of the pile (i.e. due 2013-4-8 onwards), and it seems I won't see them again until I have gone through all 2000 notes, meaning I will probably have forgotten them again!

In the old Anki, I could have set it to 'shortest interval' so that I got to review them progressively, but this option is no longer there. I have tried using custom study sessions using the 'review forgotten cards' option, but seeing as I will have to estimate how recently each card was forgotten, it seems a fairly crude tool, and I will end up reviewing 'forgotten but easily relearnable' material just as often as 'forgotten and difficult to remember' material.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this dilemma?

Apologies if this is ground that has been covered before, but to the best of my googling abilities, I can't find any specific reference to this query.

Thanks very much in advance.

Whiteo

1. 1 Posted by itraveller on 08 Apr, 2013 11:24 AM

Hi whiteo,

Maybe worth paying attention to the configuration of additional steps of relearning mode (Options-> Lapses-> Steps), at least for period of such cases. In the event of the slightest uncertainty in the knowledge of cards you can boldly shift to a retraining (Again). If a card is been forgotten significantly, then you should pass the entire cycle relearning. And if after the first replay you feel that the card is fully been recalled, then it makes sense to bring it back (Easy).

If necessary, in the same section, you can adjust the 'New interval' parameter, if a return to the old intervals seems too long.

Good luck!

2. 2 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 08 Apr, 2013 11:29 AM

I'm a little puzzled when you say that they appear to have gone to the end
    of the queue. Relearn/failed cards have their own queue, and after the
    appropriate timeout has passed, they should always appear before other
    cards. Can you check what the first lapse step is set to in the deck's
    options? Also, the cards you fail are going into the orange relearn queue,
    right?

3. 3 Posted by whiteo on 08 Apr, 2013 12:08 PM

Thanks for your quick replies

In response to Soren, I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. My problem is not with the relearn/fail queue, which is functioning normally (i.e. it presents the failed card within 10 minutes, and if I produce the answer, then the interval is 1day). At that point, the card joins the main body of cards, with a due date of tomorrow.

This means that I have around 2000 cards with a due date of 2013-4-05 or earlier, and the cards I have recently reviewed and had to relearn are due from tomorrow onwards. It seems that Anki will prioritise the earlier due dates, rather than the shorter-intervalled (and therefore more likely to be forgotten cards.)

In reply to itraveller, I'm not quite sure if I grasp your meaning when you say 'If a card is been forgotten significantly, then you should pass the entire cycle relearning.' You're right that it does seem a good idea to mark a card as (Easy) if a card has been more fully recalled, but I still have the problem of the cards that weren't well recalled and need full relearning being placed at the back of the (main) queue.

Thank you again for your time and help.

4. 4 Posted by whiteo on 08 Apr, 2013 12:09 PM

(On a side note, is it possible to get Anki to show me which order it intends to show me cards?)

5. 5 Posted by itraveller on 08 Apr, 2013 01:41 PM

Now it seems I understand the problem. Are you concerned that the standard queue for 'due' cards is formed according with the due time. Right?
    If so, please look again at section of the manual associated with filtered deck.
    With this tool, you can select cards in an arbitrary range of 'due' time and set desired Number and order of cards.

For example, for standart session you can specify the next filter: deck:your_deck (is:due or is:new) prop:due=0
    And for session with overdue cards: deck:your_deck is:due prop:due<0

With the first filtered deck you should practice regularly, and with the second one - whenever possible.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. 6 Posted by whiteo on 08 Apr, 2013 03:53 PM

Thanks, itraveller - I have created filtered decks and think that will be of good use.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Apr, 2013 04:25 AM

8. 8 Posted by whiteo on 10 Apr, 2013 09:24 AM

Thank you, that's really helpful - I think the -7 days factor will work as a good catchall.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 Apr, 2013 04:45 AM

I've added Andreas' suggestion to the manual so it's easier for others to find in the future.

10. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 21 Apr, 2013 04:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac