V2 scheduler as default

The AnKing

02 Jun, 2020 07:13 PM

Is there any particular reason why you do not make the v2 scheduler default for those starting brand new? I think it would really benefit people. I've been on it for 6+ months without issues and it has many advantages that the regular scheduler does not have.

I am regularly answering questions from people having issues with the custom filtered decks not realizing that they need to be on the v2 scheduler.

1. 1 Posted by The AnKing on 02 Jun, 2020 10:38 PM

Additionally- other things settings that should be changed in the default settings (that were mentioned to me by a few others) include: changing learn ahead limit to 0, setting leech default to "tag", potentially increasing the steps more than they are now, etc

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Jun, 2020 10:51 AM

I'm hoping for AnkiDroid to merge some timezone handling changes first:

https://github.com/ankidroid/Anki-Android/issues/5805

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Jun, 2020 10:54 AM

Re the default learn ahead limit, when it used to be zero on old Anki versions, there were a lot of new users who complained about having to wait to finish studying their cards.

4. 4 Posted by The AnKing on 03 Jun, 2020 01:53 PM

The learn ahead limit makes sense then and I'm glad to hear making V2 default is on your radar. Would it be possible to change leech to tag? My suggestion with the steps is something like 30 1440 or 10 30 1440 with graduating of 3 days. This essentially follows the same pattern of the current default settings, but has an extra day of learning so that you can 1. utilize the hard interval on the V2 scheduler and 2. the ease doesn't change in that first day of learning. It may be different with other fields, but rarely do I ever see medical students using the default settings because its very common to miss a card the following day and starting to decrease the ease that early eventually lands people in "ease hell" (especially those that don't take time to understand what they're doing)

Again these are just suggestions. Thanks for all you do!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 04 Jun, 2020 10:47 AM

The leech change is likely - the learning steps I'd have to think about more, and at the least it would need to wait until the v2 scheduler becomes the default. I've made a note so I don't forget - thanks for the feedback.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac