Anki: Decks and subdecks

FrankJH

24 May, 2020 12:10 PM

Dear all,

I'm relatively new to Anki, so I hope you will help me.

I want to learn and practice languages with Anki ... of course ... so I created 4 large decks. Those decks are subdivided
into categories, i. e. subdecks.

I read that one should not create too much subdecks, but this information is over 6 years old.

I read about performance issues ... I now have two decks with more than 20 subdecks each, but there were no performance
problems at all, not on my desktop and not on my tablet.

Is the information about it obsolete, or is there another reason for not using too much subdecks?

Maybe I've overseen something in the docs, or I've misunderstood something ... really appreciate your advice.

Kind regards, Frank

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2020 04:22 AM

Hi Frank,

When you get into the hundreds of thousands of decks things can become noticeably slower. But the main reason to use them conservatively is because separating your material up into many different categories will make it too easy/not random enough when you review it.

2. 2 Posted by FrankJH on 25 May, 2020 08:42 AM

Hi Damien,

thanks a lot for your answer.

>> hundreds of thousands of decks

That's not what I'm going to do :) It won't be more than 100.

>> many different categories will make it too easy/not random enough

This is clear, too ... but for my purposes it is helpful ... and I have the possibility to reorganize my decks if it appears too simple too me ... but for my first tries with a
    completely new language (Russian) it is helpful.

At the moment, I have a deck with 20 subdecks ... I won't use hundreds of thousand, so I'm not going to affect the performance.

Kind regards, Frank

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac