Anki could not create its data folder

bikeien

20 May, 2020 05:33 PM

After downloading, I obviously did something wrong and now the program will not start: 'Anki could not create its data folder. Please see the File Locations sector of the manual, and ensure that location is not read-only.

In the manual I found this text:

On Mac computers, recent Anki versions store all their files in the~/Library/Application Support/Anki2 folder. The Library folder is hidden by default, but can be revealed in Finder by holding down the option key while clicking on the Go menu. If you’re on an older Anki version, your Anki files will be in your Documents/Anki folder.

which sounds like Chinese to me. No idea where to find this 'Go menu', and what to do if I did…

1. 1 Posted by addons_zz on 20 May, 2020 06:27 PM

You can find the Go menu here: OS X Go to Folder in Finder

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 May, 2020 12:25 AM

Once you've located the Anki2 folder, please try renaming it to something else, then starting Anki again.

3. 3 Posted by bikeien on 21 May, 2020 09:53 AM

Thanks for your replies!
    I finally got to the Anki2 folder and I did rename it, but it keeps asking to replace the older version and then to move 'Anki' (the old name?) into my apps. I did so several times, but at restart it still shows this "Anki could not create" message.
    I then deleted the app and downloaded a new version, but there is something in my computer that does not allow that one to open either.
    Op do., mei 21, 2020 om 02:25, Damien Elmes schreef:

4. 4 Posted by addons_zz on 21 May, 2020 02:39 PM

1. drag the old Anki.app file to the trash
    2. install the latest Anki version from https://apps.ankiweb.net by opening the .dmg and dragging the icon to your Applications folder
    3. and run it from the Applications folder
  5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 May, 2020 11:00 PM

To confirm, you were looking at the Library/Application Support folder, and not your Applications folder, correct? There may be an 'Anki' and 'Anki2' folder there. Please move both of them out of that folder (eg to your desktop), and check if you have an Anki folder inside your Documents folder. If you do, please move that out as well. Then please try once again. If you continue to have problems, it may be a permissions issue with your Application Support folder.

6. 6 Posted by bikeien on 22 May, 2020 04:37 PM

Thanks a lot for your patience, David (and thank you too, addons_zz). I'd been looking in the wrong folder indeed. Now my new version runs as smooth as the one I liked so much years ago!
    Op vr., mei 22, 2020 om 01:00, Damien Elmes schreef:

7. 7 Posted by bikeien on 24 May, 2020 05:04 PM

Sorry for calling you David, Damien...
    Op vr., mei 22, 2020 om 01:00, Damien Elmes schreef:

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2020 04:50 AM

Not a problem, glad to hear you're up and running now!

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac