copy&paste of certain web images -> Anki is "Processing" forever & I can't stop

ijg

18 May, 2020 01:41 PM

I tried with Anki 2.1.26 from apps.ankiweb.net and without addons.

The image from here can't be copied into Anki: I open this image in chromium(linux) or firefox(windows), then right click it and select "copy image" from the context menu and then I go into the Anki Add-dialog and use ctrl+v to paste it. Now Anki starts downloading/processing it but never finishes and I don't know how to abort this except for using my task manager to kill Anki.

In Windows 10 I just get the progress window "Processing ..." and the turning blue wheel instead of a cursor but it doesn't finish. In Linux shortly before I get the Processing dialog I get another popup window "Unexpected response code: 403" and less than a second after this the "Processing dialog.", see the attached screenshot.

This has happened for me once or twice over the last days with other images, too. I don't remember getting this earlier.

1. 1 Posted by addons_zz on 18 May, 2020 04:03 PM

@dae Making the progress bar cancellable (Asking: Are you sure you want to cancel? If the operation still running you may break your collection) should help to fix the problem of having to kill Anki by the Task Manager.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 May, 2020 05:21 AM

I think a safer option would be to clear the progress bar in the case of an unhandled exception - but in the longer term code should be updated to handle such cases.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 May, 2020 05:22 AM

(thanks for the original report, I'll look into it)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 May, 2020 08:00 AM

So it turns out there is already code to clean up the progress bar on an exception, but in this case it wasn't an unhandled error, so that code doesn't run. Should be fixed in the latest git; thanks for the report.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac