Cards remain buried forever unless manually unburied

buriedforever

09 May, 2020 01:48 PM

At some point several months ago (I'm not sure exactly when) the bury card behavior of my anki installation changed. Instead of all buried cards unburying the following day, as had always been the case for me, I noticed buried cards were never unburying automatically. My browser now shows cards that have due dates of (2020-04-30) and even further past due. I tried loading Anki without addons installed (holding down shift) but that does not make a difference. The problem is the same on my phone or on my desktop.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 10 May, 2020 12:36 AM

The following in the debug console should fix it:

mw.col.conf["lastUnburied"] = 0
    mw.col.setMod()

It appears to be caused by using Anki while your clock was about half a year ahead?

https://docs.ankiweb.net/#/misc?id=debug-console

2. 2 Posted by buriedforever on 11 May, 2020 02:04 PM

Thanks so much. I can confirm for anyone reading this in the future that this code fixed the problem. After executing the code both: 1) all previously buried cards were unburied; and, 2) all cards buried manually now correctly unbury the following day.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It appears to be caused by using Anki while your clock was about half a year ahead" since I never changed my system clock, but in any case thanks so much for the help, and obviously for all your work on anki.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 May, 2020 09:19 AM

No problem, and I'll keep an eye out for other users experiencing the same issue.

4. 4 Posted by urrutiajulian on 24 May, 2020 03:12 PM

Hi, just thought I'd report that I had the same problem and the code Damien kindly provided fixed it. Thanks Damien!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2020 04:45 AM

Any issues with the system clock recently? I wonder what's causing it.

6. 6 Posted by buriedforever on 25 May, 2020 03:00 PM

I want to chime back in that I don't think there were any changes to my system clock ever and I cannot think of any specific cause, although to be fair I had been living with this bug for months before seeking help here.

It's a very, very sneaky bug that passes by unnoticed until one day you think to yourself, I'm pretty sure I buried a card that I never saw again and run a search and find hundreds or more buried cards... For people studying huge decks (med students especially) it can really throw a wrench into an already tight study schedule. It was easier to manage manually once I discovered what was happening, but it was a huge pain to catch up on the reviews I didn't know I was skipping.

I wonder if there is a way to alert users this might be happening and ask them to check for permanently buried cards? I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people are not noticing this, especially if they are reviewing hundreds to a thousand cards a day.

Thanks as always for your help and for your work on Anki!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 26 May, 2020 08:38 AM

Good idea, I've made a note about this.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac