URL manipulation including a field replacement

Bruce Plumb

06 May, 2020 03:07 AM

I set up a link to Google Translate in my template like this:
<span id='Google'><a href="https://translate.google.com/#view=home&amp;op=translate&amp;sl=en&amp;text={{English}}&amp;tl=it" style="color: rgb(64, 64, 144)">Google</a></span>

This works fine. The contents of field "English" are passed to Google Translate and translated to Italian.
I want a script which uses if ("{{info-Did:}}" == ...) (using the add-on "Additional Card Fields Fork for 21") to check which deck I am in and change the "it" to "nl" so that English is translated to Dutch. But URL manipulation seems to be complicated by the field replacement. I tried a script which just replaces the whole span with a complete URL containing the "nl". Logically it should work except apparently the field name {{English}} is not properly replaced with the field contents. In fact the error says unrecognized identifier.
Can anyone solve this for me?

1. 1 Posted by Bruce Plumb on 06 May, 2020 07:30 AM

Solved it myself!
    Actually two possible explanations. First I put the {{English}} in a span:
    <span id='English'>{{English}}</span>
    then assigned the span contents to a variable:
    var EnglishText = document.getElementById('English').innerHTML;
    Then concatenating with the variable +EnglishText+ instead of +{{English}}+ works fine even after replacing the Google span.

But actually the problem might have been just from using {{edit:English}} (from the add-on "Edit Field During Review Cloze"). That add-on unfortunately adds a line break which might have been the only problem messing up the URL

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac