2.1.22 changed hints within field contents

snoyes

16 Apr, 2020 01:41 PM

It seems that a number of users on Reddit had included a hint inside the field itself, rather than in the card template - e.g., the content of Text is "Some text {{hint::Extra}}".

In 2.1.15, this worked as they expected. In 2.1.22, this breaks, and no longer produces a link to expand to show the hint, but simply displays the above verbatim.

A hint placed in the card template continues to work correctly.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Apr, 2020 07:21 AM

Hint fields were only ever intended to be used on the template, so I'm afraid this behaviour is unlikely to return.

2. 2 Posted by snoyes on 17 Apr, 2020 02:29 PM

The impact of such a decision is that hints can no longer be placed in the middle of a field.

3. 3 Posted by Guillem Palau-S... on 17 Apr, 2020 03:48 PM

Guillem Palau-Salvà (contributor user)'s Avatar

Hi, some long-term user input here:

The good news is that you can automate the conversion. You can delete the hint from inside the Front field using find&replace with regex and add the hint on the template.

Btw, I hope you or the reddit user who has this did not manually typed the hints for each card... You no longer be able to place the hint inside a field but that is something that theoretically had never been possible to do it. It may have worked by casuality until now. It is very unefficient to repeat the hard-coded hint in each card.

4. 4 Posted by Tk on 17 Apr, 2020 08:12 PM

@guillem it was quit simple i had a hotkey with the code {{hint:x}} and could just add it wherever I wanted.

5. 5 Posted by Arjun on 06 May, 2020 05:54 AM

Please allow a way to include field references like in anki 2.1.15 and before. All my cards are dependant on that feature.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac