Dropbox as backup storage for “Anki2” folder

sup3rny4nb0y2

16 Jan, 2020 10:41 AM

Hello!

I’m a little unsure. The Anki manual says: “We do not recommend you sync your Anki folder directly with a third-party synchronization service, as it can lead to database corruption when files are synced while in use.” But what if I just want to keep backup copies of the “Anki2” folder, say, in Dropbox? I want to keep them without running the collections stored there. It is safe, or even passive data storage in sync folders eventually leads to data corruption? I use Time Machine to copy all the contents of my computer to home Time Capsule, however I would like to configure additional backups using Carbon Copy Cloner for important things like Anki.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Jan, 2020 05:09 AM

The copies may be corrupted if made while Anki is open or if not fully copied, so it is safest to back up an exported .colpkg instead of Anki's files directly.

2. 2 Posted by sup3rny4nb0y2 on 17 Jan, 2020 09:36 AM

Thanks for your attention! But if I correctly understood the help documentation of Carbon Copy Cloner [1], there is no such problem with APFS volumes, because backups are created using snapshots. I have been testing this for several days, and so far have not run into problems. Anyway, this is just an additional backup solution.

[1]: Can I run a backup while I'm using my computer? If I have open files, will they be backed up? • Carbon Copy Cloner Online Documentation

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Jan, 2020 10:34 PM

It's not something I've tested, so I'm afraid I can't give you any guarantees it will be trouble free.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac